Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First flow

Derek, ditto what Ross said.

Ross, spring last year was excellent. The vetch flow was great. That being said, you are about 15 miles West of me in the blackland, I am between Terrell and Canton in sandy soil. Have a friend that farms over 1000 acres near you (about 2 miles). Lots of wheat and corn. All his corn seed is treated with somekind of Neonicotinoid. However, that area is great for wildflowers and vetch leftover from when they used it as a Nitrogen fixer in the soil. Been thinking about putting a few hives in the Brushy creek bottoms. It is full of Mesquite and Honey Locust. This is only about 4 miles from the John Deere house.

Tom

This place is all mesquite. I'm across the road from the old missle site.

Thanks Guys!
    Chuck Norris has a grizzly bear carpet in his room. The bear isn't dead it is just afraid to move.

Quote Originally Posted by Ross View Post
    This place is all mesquite. I'm across the road from the old missle site.
    Ross when does the mesquite bloom ? I here that stuff makes real good honey.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Bee View Post
    Ross when does the mesquite bloom ? I here that stuff makes real good honey.
    Mine started blooming the first week of June. Ross is about 50 miles from me. This will be the first year I will be able to take advantage of it. Last year my packages had only been installed 30-45 days before they bloomed.
    Chuck Norris has a grizzly bear carpet in his room. The bear isn't dead it is just afraid to move.

It can be anytime from May on through the summer depending on rain.

Down here it's pure eucalyptus flow, my trees are loaded--- with bees that aren't mine anymore! I can only hope that when my bees left, they found a good home and now they're enjoying the bursting eucs.

There's some bloom in the chapparal as well--- I think ceonothus, which I'm not sure bees work too much, especially when they've got the eucs to keep 'em busy.

Hey, Sundance--- it was just under 80 degrees here today. How ya doin' up there?

All the bees in my home yard are on a flow as well. All that is but two hives which are still tightly clustered (one is Carniolan and the other a late season cutout from last year). We have been having highs in the low to mid sixties and lows in the 30's and 40's, but they are still busy as can be during the day. Lots of mostly yellow pollen coming in. Not sure what it is as most the dandelions here bloomed in Dec. and are now seeded out. Prior to this activity, all I was seeing were bees gathering from the chicken feed on warm days.
    "The UNKNOWN, huh? That would be SNORBERT ZANGOX over in Waycross."

Went and looked today. They seemed to be on a flow. There was alot of activity. And about 6-7 at a time coming and going. All the ones going were cleaning there face really good before they left?? They were not bringing in much pollen. But my Cedar Elms haven't woke up yet.

Saturday they were working hard on this.

Veronica persica

Common Name: Birdeye Speedwell, Common Field Speedwell, Persian Speedwell

http://www.sbs.utexas.edu/mbierner/b...ca_persica.htm

At one on of my yards the whole area is covered in this. The guy where I have this hive said the bees have been working this stuff hard for about a week. He said this stuff comes up every year and will bloom into spring.