Thread: Bee Venom

Default Bee Venom

Is it possible that different colonies/bees have a different venom chemistry? Today I got stung on the hand while I was putting some more sugar in some of my hives. I scraped the stinger out pretty quickly but my hand swelled up pretty good. I thought I was getting somewhat tolerant to stings until today. I've noticed that stings from some of my hives result in more swelling than when I'm stung by bees from other hives. I realize that there are a lot of variables that might affect the sting reaction but I wondered if anyone else has experienced anything like this? Could be amount of venom injected, time stinger is left in, time since last sting etc, but I just wondered if anyone knows anything about possible variability in venom among hives or types of bees?

I use bee stings on my elbow and shoulder on a regular basis to control arthritis pain. I have noticed to a small but noticable degree that the stings from the gentle hives, mainly my cordovans, are somewhat less effective than those from my less gentle hives. I have quit using bees from one hive because it is to much work to get them to sting and not much result when they do.

Venom quantity seems to be the biggest difference to me. Like when I'm stung through my suit and the stinger comes out immediately, those stings are very mild.
    The wind blows freely, carrying the petals, pollenating our footsteps.

yes. I have noted a different reaction to bees of different coloring, most worse with the "clear with the black butt" .

Roland

Default Sting reaction

You need to consider what the bees are working also.
    Ernie
    Ernie
    My websitehttp://bees4u.com/

Default stings

I think different parts of the body is more senitive than others.If I get stung on the back of the hand or between my thumb and finger, it will swell and itch.I had 6 get under my veil last summer,and stung me on the back of the neck.no swelling just itched a couple of days. Jack

I googled a bit on this and can't find any solid evidence that indicates much of a difference between colonies. I did find an un-referenced statement that hinted at differences between races of bees with possible minute differences between individual colonies. My guess would be that the most dramatic difference would be between individual stings, as mentioned above. Location, duration of sting, age of bee, etc., probably play more of a role than different colonies. Just my guess.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

I might be nuts, but the first sting of the "year" always seems to be the worst! Location of sting site is what I have noticed makes the most difference in the type of reaction I have.

I like the most of you have been stung many times. The stings vary in pain level somewhat, but none seem to bother too much. However, last spring I was stung on top of hand near thumb and forefinger. It so happened that that particular hive had a case of disintery (? spelling). I ended up with a red streak going up my arm. It happened in afternoon, and I went to Emer. care the next morning. Got a shot, and some antibiotic pills. I believe the dirty stinger played a part in this. I've been stung many times since, with no problems. Watch for the red streak, as it it a telltale sign.
    WD9BB, Chuck

I have cordovan italians and their stings are non-events. I also have some carniolans that really pack a punch. When I get stung (most always on the fingers) it feels like getting my hand slammed in a car door.
    Kevin
    Milton Township, Michigan (near South Bend, Indiana)