Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mcp??

Right Tom,
    Ive learned to keep my opinions to myself when dealing with the law.There are phone numbers on the paperwork for me to call to take care of it. I guess I just don't like getting sucked into the System any more than necessary, being kind of an independent person.
    Jim,I hope you win this one!

Quote Originally Posted by Flyer Jim View Post
    ok Jack, chicken fried steak breakfast at Franks in Mokelumne Hill says LoggerMike doesn't need a CA #..... loser drives
    Your on Jimmy, dang this will bee the first time Jimmy pick up the tab.

I got my CA# and put in the glove box. Never displayed it. Blew the scale at Wheeler Ridge regularly and only got stopped once. Told Chippy, I was confused. When going down the Ridge, I am not a TRUCK. Don't need to use right lane and run 35MPH, sooo I must not be a truck that needs to pull in to the scale with a 350 flat bed. He let me go and said pull in IF they wern't busy. Fuzzy laws, arn't they great.

Thumbs down

A CHP guy on another forum said this law was being enforced more than in the past.
    The first fine here is $157 (got the ticket to prove it). I think he said its a $1000 the next time if not in compliance .
    So you get the ID # and MCP. Now you have BIT and EMP compliance to worry about.
    I am just about ready to say F CA. and their moronic laws.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyer Jim View Post
    ok Jack, chicken fried steak breakfast at Franks in Mokelumne Hill says LoggerMike doesn't need a CA #..... loser drives

Mike, you've got to let us know
    Jim
    Jimmy, you can swing by at 7:00 sharp! OH, steak & egg for me.lol

Don't be in too big a hurry to feed anyone yet ,Jim.
    I got the CHP application for the ID number.The definition of a commercial truck is right on there:
    --
    any truck not already included in categories A through M which has a GVWR of more than 10,000 pounds and which is used to transport property privately (not for hire). Operators of these vehicles are subject to the Motor Carrier of Property (MCP) permit program administered by the DMV.
    --
    No other definitions apply to my operation.I'm thinking the guys at the scales are trolling for dollars.I think they had their thumb on the scales too!

"I'm thinking the guys at the scales are trolling for dollars.I think they had their thumb on the scales too!" dont live in cali but that sounds like what we are seeing here in ky. when gas got real high, the scales provided nearly free income if definitions and rules were stretched. if you dont like it, take time off to go to court(several times) and fight it.one will never find the smoking gun- a memo saying we need more tickets-but the cops can tell from the attitude at the post what is expected.
    "Wine is a constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy" Ben Franklin

Aw heck Louie,we can always carpool,I'll leave the tip.

Default jumping the cottonwood scale

T'was back in 1971 , and we had just loaded our 700 pkges in Live Oak calif.(good bees they were too )We were aheaded for home and being a young inexperienced driver kinda held in awe by the beauty and overpopulated state,busy interstate highway..... I missed the scale stop. CHP came outta the scale lights aflashing,siren agoing and pulled us over.
    Trooper was kinda cautious approaching the red one ton chevy,as hitch-hikers(loose bees) proceeded to pour out.He wrote us a ticket .We told him we wouldn't be in Calf. for much more than a couple more hours but he insisted we stop up futher, spend the nite and pay our fine before leaving the state.........never did get that dang fine paid.....guess I'm still a wanted man in calf.

Me,mom and dad made it home in good shape.....fond memories of the good old days, when holidays and bussiness were always combined and all things seemed much easier to do

Ah, the Cottonwood scales. The southbound scale is just a shack and used to hardly ever be open. But the northbound is open 24/7 and is a major operation. If you blow by the scales they will come swarming outta there like hornets, if they aren't too busy.
    Too bad packages cannot be sent up like in the old days. Yes , things were easier back then, before the mites screwed up everything.

Mike;
    Go see the CHP up by Benton Air Park. I know some people that had good luck with them sorting things out.
    Oh when you pay the fine don’t forget the $25.00 for each violation.

Good Luck
    Dan

Thanks Dan. Will check it out. I don't have any problem with just paying 35 bucks for a number if that would be the end of it. But there really isn't any category on the I.D. # application for a 10,000 GVW truck.It says specifically MORE than 10,000.
    I found this section of the Vehicle code that could be what they are using:

260. (a) A "commercial vehicle" is a motor vehicle of a type required to be registered under this code used or maintained for the transportation of persons for hire, compensation, or profit or designed, used, or maintained primarily for the transportation of property.

No mention of GVW there.

Too many contradictions in the laws.Written by lawyers to assure themselves and their progeny plenty of work.
    Maybe this thread is getting boring for anyone not in Ca. but hey you're all here for the almonds ,Right

Sounds like a shoot first, ask questions later operation. Their quotas probably jumped way up with the tax situation, they are hoping you don't ask too many questions.

I hope you get this cleared up with out too much trouble. -rick

Quote Originally Posted by Tom G. Laury View Post
    Just like when you get pulled over without DUE CAUSE!!!
    The "DUE CAUSE" for getting pulled over in a truck is just that, because you are drving a truck. Any vehicle with a USDOT number can get pulled over at any time, on any road, with no probable cause.

As far as confusion with what is a commercial vehicle AND/OR second division vehicle and what numbers are needed, the problem usually lies with the state's vehicle code AND the Commercial Motor Carrier Safety Inspection Act(MCS). Most states have their own laws that govern second division vehicles. The Commercial Motor Carrier Safety Act (USDOT) governs commercial vehicles. The Federal Act and the state's complied statututes can have different meanings and different weight limitations, causing both overlapping regulations and loopholes.

Troopers are ressponsible for conducting Level III MCS inspectors. This means they are capable of doing paperwork inspections, walk arounds, and weights. Level I inspectors are the guys in the coveralls they are going to get under the truck on a creeper and measure brakes. The Level I Troopers are the ones that you would want to talk to if you are wanting to sort out what you need and don't need in your state. The Level III inspectors just simply don't deal with trucks on a day to day basis.

On a side note from another comment posted:
    The Illinois State Police has been accused of writing more tickets because of the economic situation to try and get more income for the state. What most people don't know is that the ISP doesn't receive a penny from any citation that their troopers write. All the money goes to the city, township, county, and courts.

Jake

Quote Originally Posted by Jake S View Post
    The "DUE CAUSE" for getting pulled over in a truck is just that, because you are drving a truck. Any vehicle with a USDOT number can get pulled over at any time, on any road, with no probable cause.
    Jake

Welcome to the land of the free. With help from big brother.

I guess no one in this country remembers "Live free or Die" or "Don't tread on me!"
    Just considered terrorist talk now.

Reminder speed trap

We have this state route that the stateys work hard. I have bees in the fence row about a 100 yards from there turn around. Last year after the flow was over I was taking honey off, when a statey put a van of people over. They must have only been about 60 yards away. By this time I had all the honey off and ready to blow them out and the bees was robbing really bad. Well to make a long story short, the statey got the point. I think he got it real good too. I had 80 supers on my half ton and I would have love it if he would have pulled me over that day LOL.

Ron

Mike;
    I think that you said that your truck had a flatbed on it that opens up a whole new can of worms. I went up to the scales last year to see if my 77 Chevy 350 flat bed 1 ton with a boom could be registered as an implement of husbandry. The first thing they did was look at the sticker on the door to see if the GVW was less than 10,000 lb. Since it was originally designed to hold more than 1 person they would not buy that it was a farm truck. I license it for 15,000 because once you remove the pickup bed and change it a flatbed you have to deal with the CGVW. Both truck and trailer if you are pulling one.

Ask about putting NOT FOR HIRE on the sides of the truck.
    Last edited by Ishi; 01-19-2009 at 11:12 PM. Reason: After thought
    Dan

Both of my trucks are one ton flatbeds with booms. The scale guy did say they could be registered at a higher GVW than the 10,000 on the door. Which would make sense as 1 tons are often(shall I say usually) overloaded. As long as the tires and brakes are up to the job and can pass the safety inspections.I see these side of the road inspections more frequently now,and have been pulled in on a few occasions.Ive seen out of state bee trucks pulled over too.
    I was thinking the reason the Northbound scales are a major operation, but the southbound is still just a shack, might have to do with the huge amount of drugs going north up I-5 (thanks to the Mexican Mafia).The CHP knows this stuff is going by all the time.For a while the CHP was busting these drug runners almost every day, till the L.A. politicians accused them of racial profiling.

I have been told by hotshot drivers that putting NOT FOR HIRE on the door is a red flag to the CHP

Quote Originally Posted by JBJ View Post
    I have also been hearing of extremely intense policing of beekeepers. Tickets for everything, the state is broke and looking for $$. A friend just got a ticket for not having his forks strapped, plus 4 binders on the lift. Lots of other stories of ticketed beekeepers already this year.
    I think that you might be taking a bit of a leap to say that what you describe is "intense policing of beekeeper", but I wasn't there. Regulations for the transportation of skidsteer loaders aplly to all haulers, not just beekeepers.

Unsecured load tickets hel[p keep the rest of us safe from folks who don't adequately tie down their payload or equipment. The same is true about lights, turn signals and such.
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast