From the Calf. dept of Motor vehices
Who needs a permit?
* Any person or entity who is paid to transport property in their motor vehicle regardless of vehicle size or weight (For-hire carrier).
* Any person or entity operating a motor vehicle with a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of 10,001 pounds or more and which is used in the course of business to transport their own property (Private carrier).
Back to Top of Page
Who will not need a permit?
* Vehicles operated by household goods and/or passenger carriers as defined in Section 5109 of the Public Utilities Code (those vehicles operate under Public Utilities Commission authority)
* Vehicles operated by household goods carriers to transport used office, store, and institutional furniture and fixtures when operated under a household goods carrier permit issued pursuant to Section 5137 of the PUC.
* Pickup trucks with a GVWR of less than 11,500 pounds, an unladen weight of less 8,001 pounds, and equipped with a box-type bed not exceeding 9 feet in length, when operated in a non-commercial manner.
* Utility trailers, camp trailers, or trailer coaches.
* Vehicles providing transportation of passengers only, a passenger stage corporation transporting baggage and express upon a passenger vehicles incidental to the transportation of passengers.
* Vehicles used only for personal use and are 10,000 pounds GVWR or less.
* Two-axle daily rental trucks with a GVWR of less than 26,001 pounds when operated in non-commercial use.
* Vehicles which are exempt from vehicle registration fees.
More info here - http://dmv.ca.gov/vehindustry/mcp/mcpfaq.htm#whodoes
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne