Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mcp??

Default Mcp??

The State is broke and I have been noticing more CHP side of the road inspections going on.
    Anyway,I got flagged at the I-5 scales and written up for no MCP(motor carrier permit).I have driven the same truck (77 F350 10000 GVW))through these scales for years without ever being stopped. The way I read the law is 10,001 lbs and up GVW is the dividing line for the commercial truck, OR any truck used to haul OTHER peoples property for compensation. The CHP dude claimed ANY truck used for profit of ANY type had to have the MCP. Am I wrong on this?
    Will be on the phone Monday to try to get clarification.
    Because the increased insurance cost would be more than the truck is worth,I will just non -op it (a tank of gas is worth more than the truck).
    I like the small flatbeds because so many of my yards are too tight for anything bigger.
    Any thoughts or comments appreciated.
    Last edited by Bizzybee; 01-17-2009 at 02:13 PM.

Most of the scales I encounter are 10,000 lb or better. Drive by empty and you'll get chased down, if they aren't too busy. And ALL 10,000 lb GVW vehicles are supposed to have a state or federal DOT number. I believe it's a HLS thing.
    Mark Berninghausen #youmatter

Thanks Mark.Maybe I shouldn't ask ,but what is an HLS thing?
    The Ca. DMV website says:
    --
    Who needs a permit?

* Any person or entity who is paid to transport property in their motor vehicle regardless of vehicle size or weight (For-hire carrier).
    * Any person or entity operating a motor vehicle with a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of 10,001 pounds or more and which is used in the course of business to transport their own property (Private carrier).
    --
    I figure I am a private carrier hauling my own property.
    Oh, and I didn't mean I blew past the scales, just not pulled aside as I drove through.
    Last edited by loggermike; 01-17-2009 at 10:14 AM. Reason: clarification

Quote Originally Posted by loggermike View Post
    Thanks Mark.Maybe I shouldn't ask ,but what is an HLS thing?
    The Ca. DMV website says:
    --
    Who needs a permit?

* Any person or entity who is paid to transport property in their motor vehicle regardless of vehicle size or weight (For-hire carrier).
    * Any person or entity operating a motor vehicle with a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of 10,001 pounds or more and which is used in the course of business to transport their own property (Private carrier).
    --
    I figure I am a private carrier hauling my own property.
    10,001 huh? Clearly some legislator wanted to cut the 10,000 lb gross guys a break. Good on him.

HLS = Homeland Security. Maybe I should have abbreviated it HS instead, which is probably more accurate.

So help me God.
    Mark Berninghausen #youmatter

HS!! Yikes,wouldn't want to run afoul of the KGB ,uh I mean HS.
    Well gotta go mix up some more pollen sub and think about this some more.

Default Mcp

Hey Mike as you probably already know the main requirement for an MCP is an insurance policy with a combined single limit liability of $750,000. Get it through your Farm Bureau it's not all that expensive. Then the permit is $35 annually plus I think $35 each time you add a vehicle. Buy the decals and you'll look official!

I went to the CHP in San Andreas and talked to the commercial guy about MCP. (this was two years ago) He said anything 10,000 lbs and under did not need a permit. My '78 GMC is 10,000 lbs. Most of the old 1 ton flatbeds or 3/4 ton flatbeds don't have dot numbers. Let us know, by the way Monday's a holiday for some.
    Jim

Thanks for the info. A few years back the local CHP guy(retired now) told me it was 10,001 to fall into that category. But I get the feeling there is a new interpretation of the law or something.
    I was thinking about retiring both these old trucks after almonds, but with things getting kind of shaky might just hold off a bit longer.

I have also been hearing of extremely intense policing of beekeepers. Tickets for everything, the state is broke and looking for $$. A friend just got a ticket for not having his forks strapped, plus 4 binders on the lift. Lots of other stories of ticketed beekeepers already this year.
    John B Jacob www.oldsolbees.com

Default From the Calf. dept of Motor vehices

Who needs a permit?

Back to Top of Page
    Who will not need a permit?

* Vehicles operated by household goods and/or passenger carriers as defined in Section 5109 of the Public Utilities Code (those vehicles operate under Public Utilities Commission authority)
    * Vehicles operated by household goods carriers to transport used office, store, and institutional furniture and fixtures when operated under a household goods carrier permit issued pursuant to Section 5137 of the PUC.
    * Pickup trucks with a GVWR of less than 11,500 pounds, an unladen weight of less 8,001 pounds, and equipped with a box-type bed not exceeding 9 feet in length, when operated in a non-commercial manner.
    * Utility trailers, camp trailers, or trailer coaches.
    * Vehicles providing transportation of passengers only, a passenger stage corporation transporting baggage and express upon a passenger vehicles incidental to the transportation of passengers.
    * Vehicles used only for personal use and are 10,000 pounds GVWR or less.
    * Two-axle daily rental trucks with a GVWR of less than 26,001 pounds when operated in non-commercial use.
    * Vehicles which are exempt from vehicle registration fees.

More info here - http://dmv.ca.gov/vehindustry/mcp/mcpfaq.htm#whodoes
    Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid. John Wayne

Smile Ca #'s

If you are required to have CA #'s on your truck you will have to have a motor vehicle permit, They kind of go hand in hand. They are a pain in the a@@ the first time because nobody seems to know what to do about them. Jim said he talked to chp in san andreas they don't know anything you have to go to sac. It is (for me $35 a year) after the first time it is easy they send you a bill. some times flatbeds don't go by gvw's
    good luck.
    Jack

You are right ,Jack.Not having the numbers was the other thing they wrote me up for(that ,and overloaded, but we wont go there).

Big Grin

Mike, I had a thread about gooseneck trailers here a while back, not that I like trailers, but I dislike the CHP worse.

good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Action View Post
    nobody seems to know what to do about them. Jim said he talked to chp in san andreas they don't know anything you have to go to sac. Jack
    Well Jack,Sacramento isn't that sharp either.

Long time ago I drove my truck to the chp is sac, parked it in there chp parking lot, locked the door went inside and reported it stolen.

It took them two weeks to figure out the stolen truck was in there parking lot.

Man those were the good times. lol

Smile Chp

Keith,
    You are right when it comes to commercial most all CHP are lost. Kind of make it up as they go. But when it comes to MVCP you have to go to Sac.at least from here. From Modesto you would have to go thru Fresno. You can just call and they will sent you the paper work. DMV forms but you have to get them from CHP or something like that.
    Jack

Keith ,I saw that thread. I have been thinking along those lines myself, but trailers would be a bad fit in some of the places I go.But I'm not ruling that out.
    Had a friend who hauled Christmas trees to the Bay area years ago with a diesel F350 pickup and gooseneck trailer. Said it was the way to go.

Got to love revenue.Thats why I left 2 years ago......To much paperwork and bull....

Default Want a bet?

ok Jack, chicken fried steak breakfast at Franks in Mokelumne Hill says LoggerMike doesn't need a CA #..... loser drives

Mike, you've got to let us know
    Jim

Smile Truck?

OK Jim,
    I don't know what Mike drives so don't know if he needs Ca#'s or not. If it has a flatbed it opens up all kinds of windows. But sense he got a ticket I say Jim you are on.
    Jack

Default Better not to argue

Just like when you get pulled over without DUE CAUSE!!!

Just get the goshdarn number if you don't want to discuss the pros & cons with the local CHP. Easier

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast