Thread: Mcp??

Hybrid View

Default Mcp??

The State is broke and I have been noticing more CHP side of the road inspections going on.
    Anyway,I got flagged at the I-5 scales and written up for no MCP(motor carrier permit).I have driven the same truck (77 F350 10000 GVW))through these scales for years without ever being stopped. The way I read the law is 10,001 lbs and up GVW is the dividing line for the commercial truck, OR any truck used to haul OTHER peoples property for compensation. The CHP dude claimed ANY truck used for profit of ANY type had to have the MCP. Am I wrong on this?
    Will be on the phone Monday to try to get clarification.
    Because the increased insurance cost would be more than the truck is worth,I will just non -op it (a tank of gas is worth more than the truck).
    I like the small flatbeds because so many of my yards are too tight for anything bigger.
    Any thoughts or comments appreciated.
    Last edited by Bizzybee; 01-17-2009 at 02:13 PM.

Most of the scales I encounter are 10,000 lb or better. Drive by empty and you'll get chased down, if they aren't too busy. And ALL 10,000 lb GVW vehicles are supposed to have a state or federal DOT number. I believe it's a HLS thing.
    Mark Berninghausen #youmatter

Thanks Mark.Maybe I shouldn't ask ,but what is an HLS thing?
    The Ca. DMV website says:
    --
    Who needs a permit?

* Any person or entity who is paid to transport property in their motor vehicle regardless of vehicle size or weight (For-hire carrier).
    * Any person or entity operating a motor vehicle with a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of 10,001 pounds or more and which is used in the course of business to transport their own property (Private carrier).
    --
    I figure I am a private carrier hauling my own property.
    Oh, and I didn't mean I blew past the scales, just not pulled aside as I drove through.
    Last edited by loggermike; 01-17-2009 at 10:14 AM. Reason: clarification

Quote Originally Posted by loggermike View Post
    Thanks Mark.Maybe I shouldn't ask ,but what is an HLS thing?
    The Ca. DMV website says:
    --
    Who needs a permit?

* Any person or entity who is paid to transport property in their motor vehicle regardless of vehicle size or weight (For-hire carrier).
    * Any person or entity operating a motor vehicle with a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of 10,001 pounds or more and which is used in the course of business to transport their own property (Private carrier).
    --
    I figure I am a private carrier hauling my own property.
    10,001 huh? Clearly some legislator wanted to cut the 10,000 lb gross guys a break. Good on him.

HLS = Homeland Security. Maybe I should have abbreviated it HS instead, which is probably more accurate.

So help me God.
    Mark Berninghausen #youmatter

HS!! Yikes,wouldn't want to run afoul of the KGB ,uh I mean HS.
    Well gotta go mix up some more pollen sub and think about this some more.

Default Mcp

Hey Mike as you probably already know the main requirement for an MCP is an insurance policy with a combined single limit liability of $750,000. Get it through your Farm Bureau it's not all that expensive. Then the permit is $35 annually plus I think $35 each time you add a vehicle. Buy the decals and you'll look official!