Default They Must Think We're Stupid!

As recent past president of the VBA, I get advertising from various companies. This one takes the cake. I only posted the first page of 4, but you get the point.

"Specially formulated to protect bees in their hives."
    "Protects against colony collapse disorder."
    "Promotes healthy, disease free hives."
    "Increases brood and honey production."

Healthy bees as long as they stay in their hives?

Just what is colony colapse disorder?

Oh goody, out "hives" won't get sick...don't ask about the bees.

Increased brood production...you mean like that frame of brood in the header. They could have at least included a good frame of healthy brood!

Comments?

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/f...scan0001-4.jpg

As long as the bees never leave the hive they are safe? Tony

I totally agree. Some of the stuff there selling now has these crazy promises that are a huge stretch. Snake oils and frog legs I tell ya, will cure everything......

Of course, if you listen to/read what beekeepers think about CCD, they might have good reason to try these things. Even among beekeepers, opinions are splintered into groups that believe that nutrition/location/virus/bacteria/protozoan/hive-concentration/cell-phone-radio-waves/morgellons/transgenic-crops/neonicotinoids/other-pesticides/diesel-exhaust-fumes/magnetic-fields/fill-in-the-blank-with-your-favorite-or-least-favorite-thing-that-you-might-wish-to-blame-for-CCD is or are responsible.

And plenty of beekeepers seem convinced that everyone else is conspiring to cover up the "real" cause of CCD.

The discussion about potential causes is valuable. The wild accusations make beekeepers look poorly.

it appears to be paint????

Quote Originally Posted by Kieck View Post
    Of course, if you listen to/read what beekeepers think about CCD, they might have good reason to try these things. Even among beekeepers, opinions are splintered into groups that believe that nutrition/location/virus/bacteria/protozoan/hive-concentration/cell-phone-radio-waves/morgellons/transgenic-crops/neonicotinoids/other-pesticides/diesel-exhaust-fumes/magnetic-fields/fill-in-the-blank-with-your-favorite-or-least-favorite-thing-that-you-might-wish-to-blame-for-CCD is or are responsible.

And plenty of beekeepers seem convinced that everyone else is conspiring to cover up the "real" cause of CCD.

The discussion about potential causes is valuable. The wild accusations make beekeepers look poorly.
    A very valid point
    Always question Conventional Wisdom.

I wonder how many beekeepers bought into such idea

you know, there is a place for peer testing and review,
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

sounds like hogwash to me.
    Will Gruenwald Chilliwack BC

"...nothing is so easily sepparated as a fool and his money..."
    "Wine is a constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy" Ben Franklin

Wow! What a marketing endeavor. It looks like they might just pull this off and make a bundle off of gullible uninformed beeks grasping for anything to gain an edge. At $300 for a 5 gal bucket of insulating, mold inhibiting paint they'll make a killing.

The "product" has only been tested for 8 months by some new fly by night beekeeping operation, and they're the exclusive "distributor" for the product. What a Joke!

http://www.northbaynano.com/ColonyCo...eeProtect.html

http://www.beehivehawaii.com/
    To everything there is a season....

Michael,

Our club received the flyer also. After reading it I simply assumed it was paint. I couldn't help but smile when someone said it was $60 per gallon.

Roger

Give credit where credit is due: They spelled "agricultural" correctly.

Default Snake-Oil Part II

See my thread:

http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...ighlight=snake

Someone thought I was unfair in suggesting that the product was "snake-oil" and I received a PM which contained the following:

"read your post on "bee protect" being snake oil. i won't call you out publicly, but i think you should try it out before you say things as if they're fact. "

I responded with:

I think you should "call me out publicly"...

If all of your claims are true you have a lot to gain...
    BeeCurious
    Trying to think inside the box...

Default wow !

I would challenge the manufacture to send a can of the bee saving paint to consumer report and have them test their claims. I think that would be fair .

Quote Originally Posted by wisbigcheese View Post
    I would challenge the manufacture to send a can of the bee saving paint to consumer report and have them test their claims. I think that would be fair .
    If you go onto bee-l and do a search Jerry Bromenshenk did some testing on it and posted his findings there.

mike
    Last edited by wildbranch2007; 01-30-2009 at 12:15 PM.

How curious.

If it was such a great insulator, maybe we should all put some on our houses.

If I could apply this as lotion on my skin, would it protect me from food poisoning?

A very brief study of medieval history will tell you that no matter how strong the walls, if the gates are open somethings getting in.

Convenient 8 month study...isn't that about the cycle time on this disease?

Hmmm......maybe not snake oil, but I don't see how it would differ from linseed oil.

My brain doesn't see how it would work. And my wallet doesn't care if my brain sees how it works.

Rick

There's a FAQ on their website, http://www.beehivehawaii.com/faq.php, of course it mysteriously avoids the obvious question "What's in your product?"

Says each of your hives need three coats of clear coat and three coats of top coat... 2 gallons total per 10 hives, story and a half. At $60.00 per gallon (not including s & h) that's 12 bucks a hive!

I don't know about you, but I've got better things to do with my money than buy expensive paint...

Here's an interesting tidbit from the Industrial Nanotech website:

"Nansulate also has NSF registration for non-food compounds, which makes it acceptable to be used in food environments and on surfaces with incidental food contact."

Seems a little contradictive to what they're telling us beekeepers...