Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: smoker fuel??

Wink

I use Sumac, I start it with shreeded newspaper, but I smoke the bees with nothing but sumac.

Default smoker fuel

I use walnut leaves and sumac these tend to knock mites off the bees.
    Check some back issues of abj about the study on walnut leaf smoke.I
    think the tanic acid found in them does the job.

Bird

Default ND Newbeek

I save my cobs from the little house outback, get double my money.

Anything I find on the ground, with the exception of eucalyptus bark. Don't know if it was coincidental, but it seemed like every time I smoked with euc bark the bees got ornery.

They've always seemed much calmer with the pine needle smoke.

Smile double

Quote Originally Posted by tom g. Laury View Post
    i save my cobs from the little house outback, get double my money.
    ewwww...double ewwwww!
    "Wine is a constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy" Ben Franklin

Baling twine. Natural kind with no color added.

We board 32 horses and bale about 6K bales a year so I just stuff the old twine into feed bags. I save the paper from wax foundation shipments and use it as a starter.
    Richard
    Carriage House Farm, North Bend, Ohio

I use newspaper. There is always plenty around, it lights well, and once you have a good hot flame, I pack the smoker full. Then I use the hive tool to create a gap between the packed newspaper and the side of the smoker. Stays lit really well and lasts long enough for 2 hives or so. Then I just add a few more balls of paper.

justgojumpit

Sometime during the winter, we roll up cardboard cut to the size of the smoker, making sure that both ends have the corrugated holes. Hold its shape with an elastic until ready to use. Can make enough to last the whole season. When starting the smoker, pop it in. It will last for about 20 to 25 hives. Small wad of toilet paper starts it going.

I buy a bag of cedar chip form TSC or like stores and carry a five gallon bucket in the truck. I lights easy makes a nice cool white smoke and stays lit. a bag cost around five bucks and will last a season. Put a cork in the smoker when your done and it will light even easier the next time.
    The Busy Bee teaches two lessons: One is not to be idle and the other is not to get stung.

I primarily use pine needles from my trees. They are cheap (free), I love the smell and while they burn a bit quicker than other fuels, did I mention they are free and I have an endless supply...

I have also seen comments that walnut shavings or bark kills varroa.

Default Careful of what you use as fuel

Raw cotton (Mann Lake) with some pine needles on top. Nice dense smoke with a very nice aroma.

Many years ago, I used to use old cotton tee shirts as smoker fuel. I didn't usually wear a suit back then. One day, I fueled up the smoker and lit it, went to the hive an popped it open. I puffed a few puffs of smoke into the hive and the bees went from a gentle hum to a raging fury. I felt like I was lucky to get away without serious injury. Later after thinking about the experience, I looked at the shirt I used as fuel it was a cotton and synthetic fiber fabric. Bees DON'T like smoke from synthetic fabric!

Default Be careful of what you use as fuel

Raw cotton (Mann Lake) with some pine needles on top. Nice dense smoke with a very nice aroma.

Many years ago, I used to use old cotton tee shirts as smoker fuel. I didn't usually wear a suit back then. One day, I fueled up the smoker and lit it, went to the hive an popped it open. I puffed a few puffs of smoke into the hive and the bees went from a gentle hum to a raging fury. I felt like I was lucky to get away without serious injury. Later after thinking about the experience, I looked at the shirt I used as fuel it was a cotton and synthetic fiber fabric. Bees DON'T like smoke from synthetic fabric!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123