Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: smoker fuel??

Default smoker fuel??

what is everyones smoker fuel of choice.this was my first year and I used dry grass.

Hey Swamprat,

My first year too. All I've ever used is a mixture of pine needles and walnut leaves that I collect across the road. They are abundantly available to me here. They're easy to light and stay lit, the smoke is white and I don't have any problems with sparks. I can count on the lid to the smoker being creosoted shut after each use. I think the consensus here is to use what is free and available. If grass works for you, go for it. I think most things that burn are ok as long as they don't spark or produce a toxic smoke.

BB

Default Juniper tree bark

It peels right off and is a nice dry consistency, burns slow and makes great smoke. Plus it's free...tons of those trees around these parts.
    Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne

I use pine needles. Because my neighbor has some massive Pine Trees So I just rake them up out of my yard. I add some native pasture grass once I get to my bee yard.
    Chuck Norris has a grizzly bear carpet in his room. The bear isn't dead it is just afraid to move.

I use Pine needles. It produces a great thick white smoke that really mellows the bees. I have used dry grass before but stopped as it makes the bees agitated on the combs. Pine needles make them very calm and manageable, the queen keeps laying and the workers just keep on at their tasks as I work them.
    “When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.” – John Muir

I use grass clippings that always seem available because I mow 7 acers. Also I use bailing twine. It gives out a good white smoke that lasts a long time. You have to use twine not the plastic stuff. Wood chips work well. I use the saw shavings from my wood shop that are always around. Good luck with your choice.
    Marc
    life is like a box of chocolates,you never know what you are gonna get

Default smoker fuel??

Welcom to the forum.
    If you do a search on smoker fuel you will find we went throught his earlier.
    Everything from dried cow chips to----
    Please do not burn any creosot materials.
    O preder wood shaving like the kind that you can buy at feed stores for animal bedding.
    Melalucca bark is good too.
    Ernie
    Ernie
    My websitehttp://bees4u.com/

Quote Originally Posted by swamprat View Post
    this was my first year and I used dry grass.
    Me too. I buy second cut hay. Second cut is usually softer, and not so rough. Gives a nice cool smoke...but burns fast, so has to be re-fueled often. Takes several bales a year to keep my smokers fueled up.

Old blue jeans, sumac heads, scrap wood.

We use smoker fuel by Miller Bee Supply Co. Excellent stuff.
    http://www.millerbeesupply.com/Page29.htm

Burlap
    Mike Forbes
    Red Dirt Apiaries

Waste cotton from old furniture stuffing. I have a couple of trash bags full from an old sofa. A little harder to light than burlap, but it never goes out.

I like the aroma of woods. I some time use pecan or hickory, even just triggs from the trees. Why not enjoy your smoke? Oak has a nice smell also.

Whatever is free. I prefer pine needles, but I use many types of weeds, eucalyptus leaves, or whatever is dry by my hives at the moment. I found a pile of chippings from some very soft wood trees. I scooped up a 5 gal bucket, and after trying it, I scooped a
    couple buckets more. I am good for this season.
    His Hive Honey Farm - Do all for His glory!

I use burlap. The isn't that bad and it's easy to light. The charred remains of burlap from the last use of the smoker is very easy too light and acts as a starter for the next peice of burlap thats added.
    Some people add a chunk of propolis to the fuel but I have often found that while at first it might smell pleasant eventually it gets quit harsh.
    I've also used hay bale binder twine, hay, saw dust, bark, pine cones, pine needles, dried cedar greens, leaves, and rolled cardboard. I think the most pleasant smelling fuel is cedar(when the green leaves turn brown) though it is not as easy to light or to keep going as burlap. The harshest smoke I found comes from cardboard but once it's lit it stays going and can subdue even the crankiest hive and yourself too, been more than enough times I've been doubled over a hive with a coughing and hacking fit from that smoke.
    Will Gruenwald Chilliwack BC

Cottonwood bark burns a long time and does not go out easily. Nut shells from hazelnuts, pecans, walnuts, and almonds are also good.

Cedar chips or pine shavings.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

With any of these types of fuels does anyone notice a difference using an insert in the smoker or not?

Never really noticed a difference, insert or not. I do notice a heavier creosote build up with the cedar shavings, but they produce a nice smoke.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

Quote Originally Posted by BuzzyBee View Post
    Hey Swamprat,

My first year too. All I've ever used is a mixture of pine needles and walnut leaves that I collect across the road. They are abundantly available to me here. They're easy to light and stay lit, the smoke is white and I don't have any problems with sparks. I can count on the lid to the smoker being creosoted shut after each use. I think the consensus here is to use what is free and available. If grass works for you, go for it. I think most things that burn are ok as long as they don't spark or produce a toxic smoke.

BB
    You are using toxic smoke. Walnut leaves, bark, and wood contains Juglone. It is a herbicide that was once used by some native tribes to kill fish. It also is an issue for Sawyers who breath walnut sawdust when milling logs. I don't know how it holds up to burning, but I would not be burning it in my smoker...
    Always question Conventional Wisdom.