Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by mbholl View Post
    Three different brokers we spoke with told us that several large beeks from Florida / east shipped their bees to Calif without contracts. They have agressively been undercutting prices and brokers lost their pollination spots on some farms; which in turn means the beek that was going to be there is out of luck. AND the price per hive is dropping....
    Not sure where you are getting your info. I spoke to two brokers and nothing has changed with their contracts or placements with the growers they deal with. The only thing they talked about was the number of weak or dead hives (20% +) but they had planned for that.

I suspect that anyone canceling a contract with a broker or someone they have done long term business with is taking a risk of not having bees in the future. And I am still wondering how anyone would ship bees from Fl. without a contract and expect to make money. The shipping alone would be expensive and the loss from the stress of the trip on the hives would wipe out any profit made. I can understand guys in the northern climates shipping to Calf. and breaking even just to mitigate winter losses but Fl. doesn't have the harsh winters so what would be the point.
    Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid. John Wayne

Default The Point

is cash flow. And with all the new trucks, loaders,boxes,new outfits,rebuilt outfits, you gotta have it; cash flow. BUT the source of cash has dried up! The almond handlers are delaying and reducing pool payments: their source of cash has dried up! Farmers are trying to justify a budget but if no credit available for op expenses they will have trouble paying bills! So all these desperados are just compounding an already shaky situation.

Tom, I think you are right on. I read where some banks are holding credit on the almond growers waiting to see how much water is going to be allotted to them. Talk about a rock and a hard place. I would think that this is where long term relationships would pay off. I would delay payment for the grower in this kind of circumstance...but then again I don't run an operation that would go under without immediate payment.

And speaking of an already shaky situation...are you Calf. guys seeing any influence of Africanized bees from southern hives in your neck of the woods?

Cool Alpha 6

Hey! You should get out of the cabin and come see some color in a few weeks!

Africanized influence: My own & local bees you don't see any BUT they come in by the truckloads for almond pollination. They are very very aggressive although the farmer is usually happy because they fly a lot. By the time bloom is over they have built up and are not pleasant to disturb in any way, let alone filling a semi and having someone up to spread nets. So what we do is move them in the middle of the day. This tames them down enough to be workable.

Default Next year...

Next year amigo...you can count on it. Still bummed I missed the piglet roast. Maybe I'll bring you a couple of elk steaks to go along with it if I nab one in the fall.

Alpha6, With all of the swarms and cutouts I did this last year I have not seen any AFHB in our area. I was in tulare county, Kings county, and Fresno county and everyone I have done have been very calm and good natured. One hive I had cut out of a garage wall had been there for 20 years that hive was huge. Tons of bees and very very gentle. My kids were running around with the bees not doing a thing to them and we were cutting them out of a wall. Anyway I have not seen any. But have been near some that have come in with pollination trucks from southern states and they are not nice at all. Thankfully I have not seen any and hope I dont in the near future. As not to long from now in a few months starts the swarm season.

Angi
    Angi of HHH Farms Hanford Ca
    Organic Farm & heritage, rare breed poultry, ducks, quail

I've still have 400 8 frame min sitting in the valley.... grower are really cutting back when they should be putting bees heavy. West side acreage hit and miss, excess bees are likely to sit. Just my two cents. If you know of any keepers who need a few extra to complete contract please contact me.

Join the club.
    John B Jacob www.oldsolbees.com

4000 THOUSAND that is known of in sac. county 75000 total......Everything is peaches and cream.Big chat and no contracts effected alot.Besides the water and the economy

At least my girls are still sitting in the back 40, but I could be there in hours, picked up a small fill in so far.
    Last edited by JBJ; 01-30-2009 at 11:02 AM. Reason: sp
    John B Jacob www.oldsolbees.com

I'm in that club of having extra bees, from what I know it's a big club. At least I have a little over half rented. The rest will stay home unless for some chance they will be rented. I just wintered better this year then previous years. It also helped that I changed the way I did things this fall.

A few bees are being snatched up. I won't give up hope until around the 18th.

Andy

Default It also helped that I changed the way I did things this fall.

Andy,
    Can you explain what you did that was different in your fall management.
    Thank you,
    Ernie
    Ernie
    My websitehttp://bees4u.com/

He put tops on his hives...keeps the snow out.

Default He put tops on his hives

I am sure that he has those funky eastern telescoping style. LOL
    Ok, he has covers on the hive. Now, back to the original ?
    Ernie
    Ernie

i am hearing that lots of hives could be going unrented. i have heard it referred to as a trainwreck. panic, price slashing, water shortages. feel fortunate that i got all mine in even after losing my original deal.

I'm not hearing anything like that except here. Talking to the brokers this week they have finished or near finished grading...prices are agreed on and they are placing them in groves starting next week.

Quote Originally Posted by alpha6 View Post
    Talking to the brokers this week they have finished or near finished grading...prices are agreed on and they are placing them in groves starting next week.
    This is what we are hearing also. Grading mostly done, prices agreed on, bees going in next week. Our broker is hearing rumors of some bees (boxes?) sitting, some scrambling of unrented colonies, but contracts seem to be holding. Growers mostly not willing to gamble on the unknown and untested. Keeping our fingers crossed things continue as planned but we are sleeping well at night.
    Sheri

Thumbs down Rental cutting

In case you do not know it there is a glut of 10 to 12 frames of bees going at $85.00.

Regards,
    Ernie
    Ernie

Wink

I would like to see names and phone numbers of guys renting 10 and 12 frame(covered with live bees) hives for $85.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast