Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default Lots of bees in Cali????

I have been hearing reports from a few brokers that they are getting slammed with calls from beeks with bees and no place to go. One central valley farm contracted at 90.00. Has anybody actually looked at there bees yet? Any comments?

Cool dang rookies

Quote Originally Posted by simplyhoney View Post
    beeks with bees and no place to go.
    Simplyhoney, Try asking Alpha6, according to his post's there is NO problems placing good bees in Calif.

Lol.

Default Balloons & bubbles

The balloon has popped, the bubble has burst let the fun begin!

A broker mentioned that he was getting calls from lots of beeks looking for contracts - BUT - when he went to look at their hives they were only 2-3 frames!

As this thread is going the brokers are going through and grading the hives. So far haven't heard one way or the other as to how this is going but should hear something by the end of the week. So far I haven't heard of any problems, change in prices or shortage or overage of bees.

On another note like I said before you should try and line up hives with either a broker that has contracts already or with a grower before this point and time. Additionally, anyone trying to place weak hives are going to get rejected or get paid a low dollar amount. I have seen it before where it starts just like here "someone placed hives at 90 bucks ea." Well, doesn't mean a thing. The guy could have gotten a good deal, the beek was desperate to get his hives rented so gave him a low price, the bees were crap, it was the guys cousin, who knows?

Best of luck to those still trying to place hives. Hope you get a good price. And good luck to those growers trying to find good bees this late.
    Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid. John Wayne

Default extra bees?

Just went through our Texas bees, pattied and fed everything. Have about 600 singles averaging around 7 combs and 600 doubles that should easily go 8to 10 combs right now with bees starting to brood up nicely. My usual contacts on the west side are all talking about getting contracts cut back and price wars brewing. If anyone out there wants to handle some really good bees gimmie a PM.

Sad

Quote Originally Posted by alpha6 View Post
    On another note like I said before you should try and line up hives with either a broker that has contracts already or with a grower before this point and time. And good luck to those growers trying to find good bees this late.
    Alpha6, could you please read your thread that you started on page #3 "Almond News".

Can we say "flip flop" , this is an important topic for those of us that make our living at this.

Keith,

I don't know what you are talking about regarding flip flopping. I have stated before that beeks should get their contracts lined up ahead of time and not wait till the last minute. Tom L. and I discussed this before. Waiting till its time to place to start looking for a contract is probably not the best business practice. I send my bees out to Calf. and use a broker. There are a number of us that use the broker (s) and know how many hives they are going to need. Between us we fill the requests. I know in years past that they have needed more and can usually find them but I haven't seen a case yet where we sent them out and they said they didn't need um. Having that locked by Oct. takes alot of stress out of getting them ready for Calf. and once shipped knowing they will be used.

I don't understand why you would think I would take this subject lightly? I was the first to advocate with Barry about a commercial thread because I think it is critical for commercial beeks to communicate with each other. If you want my personal thoughts on how to best do things PM me as others have done. Do I have all the answers...no, but if enough of us put our heads together and figure out the best way to do things and run our own destiny instead of waiting for the almond growers or someone else to dictate to us at the last minute our business we would be better off as a group.

My dos centavos

Keith,I don't know what you are talking about regarding flip flopping.
    Alpha6, the "almond thread" you state where almond demand is threw the roof, & you write a half a page about it, Well right now as we speak they are having problems selling them at a good price, not to mention the water issue.

You also state where good luck to growers that wait, Well jimmy Post says he has bees in texas that need a home, GOOD bees he says, it's right below your post that says good luck to growers that are looking for good bees.

I have gotten twenty calls from good keepers that can't place bees So lets not assume it's all rosie out there.

Thats what Im talking about flip flop.

Keith,

You got to keep you head about you. "(October 9, 2008, Paris) Almonds continue to be the second most frequently used nut in new nut-containing food products worldwide, and if demand continues to grow at this rate, almonds will become the number one nut for global new product introductions by 2009."

Note the date. That was the news at the time. I can't control the price of almonds anymore then I can control the weather. So just because the situation may have changed doesn't change the fact at the time.

Additionally, if I could hook up Jimmy with a grower or broker I would. Obviously there is a breakdown between the beeks and the growers or it would be easier for Jimmy to get his bees onto a grove or at least know that all orders are filled and they won't be needed. This is what I meant when I said we (commercial beeks) need to get our act together better and maybe we can work out these issues as a group for the good of all.

Like I mentioned before. You seem to have missed it when I stated several times that you are better off lining up your contracts before now. I am not taking anything away from any beek and I am sure there are lots out there with good bees and hopefully they can place them, but it is a dangerous business practice to wait until the last minute to try and do this. It's a gamble plain and simple. I never said it was rosie out there, but getting sucked into the panic that happens every year is something I try and avoid by mitigating as many of the factors that go into getting my bees into almonds as possible.

As for the growers the reason I stated this was that last year I heard from the brokers that many growers waiting till the last minute to get bees because they thought they could get a better price got hosed with high prices for 3 to 4 frames of bees because there just weren't any available.

Keith,

You got to keep you head about you. "(October 9, 2008, Paris) Almonds continue to be the second most frequently used nut in new nut-containing food products worldwide, and if demand continues to grow at this rate, almonds will become the number one nut for global new product introductions by 2009."

Note the date. That was the news at the time. .
    Alpha6, you keep talking about demand, the fact of the matter is you nor do I, know what it's going to be.

Again, your POST page #4 "joe news" #10 & #22, you rattle off about fuel prices and demand, how that will have and effect.

I wish you would just stop with your forecast's, you are batting way below 500 at this time.lets take a wait & see approch .

Default late contracts

Thought maybe it was good business to not promise bees early that I don't know for sure that I will have. I have some good contacts among some of the biggest beeks in the country. Right now they are all singing the same tune and that is that the contracts just aren't coming as easy as previous years. Maybe it's the water situation maybe it is undercutting the fact remains that it is a buyers (or should we say a renters) market at least in the west at the moment. Maybe in coming weeks that will change but at the moment things are definately different that in years past.

Keith,

Maybe you should take an economics and business course and maybe you can start to get a grasp on how things work. Fuel prices do effect prices, demand does effect prices, supply effects prices I don't get why this is so difficult for you to understand? I haven't forecast anything I only pointed out indicators of what is going on in the industry. That my friend is called information that should be utilized in making informed decisions. If you chose not to use the information or plan or have a strategy then don't blame others for your lack of understanding or abilities. Your wait and see approach is risky. I prefer to plan ahead and minimize the risk. Your choice, as well as mine. I am not panicking right now but enjoying the winter. My bees are placed. I am preparing for the spring...all part of a plan, something that has served me well for many, many years.

Jim, I understand how that is. Around here we try and work together so that if someone is short the others can pick up the slack and vice/versa. It has served us well, but you have to have comm beeks willing to work together, something we are lucky to have. Trust me if I hear of anyone looking for bees I will PM you straight away. I do hope you and all the others get to place your bees. I hate all the panicking and hand ringing that goes on with these almonds this time of year which is why I do it the way I do...no worries..unless all of Calf burns down with my hives...now that would tick me off.

Lightbulb

Keith,

Maybe you should take an economics and business course and maybe you can start to get a grasp on how things work. Fuel prices do effect prices, demand does effect prices, supply effects prices I don't get why this is so difficult for you to understand? I haven't forecast anything I only pointed out indicators of what is going on in the industry.
    Econ was my Major!

You talk about high fuel cost in that post (where are they at), you have been batting around 200. If you would take the time to read your "post" since Oct on this subject (almonds), very few of your perdiction are coming true.

That is very misleading for some that don't see the true story.

Keith..what was the price of fuel in Oct? What is it now? What was it in Dec when I shipped my bees? Fuel costs are down, therefore that is less of an expense for shipping. Thus...the cost of shipping the hive to Calf. which would be factored into the rates for rent will be lower...IF that is one of the factors taken into consideration. What the heck kind of economics degree did you get? I bet you are really a philosophy major and were on the debate team.

As far as my batting average...my hives are all placed...I would say that gives me a 1000 average...so far haven't struck out.

and please tell us, what is the "true story"?

Default what is the "true story"?

Good grower communications, orchard layout, orchard location, payment schedule, orchard security, spray schedule, inspection, actual frame count, staging areas, post pollination locations for splits, and much more----------
    Ernie
    Ernie
    My websitehttp://bees4u.com/

Keith..what was the price of fuel in Oct? What is it now? What was it in Dec when I shipped my bees?

You said in post #11 that you had all locked in by Oct, so Oct, Dec fuel is ?

The point I was making that you were trying to support high fuel to high rental price, so how about $2.05 right now!

Your posts show what little you know about the almonds.

I bet you can't even tell me what potash has done over the last year,.

This is whats wrong, a few keepers talking about things they haven't got a clue.

Alpha6, my folks,Uncles, grandparents have had and grow almonds,
    Last time I looked, I didn't see any almonds in the rockies.

You must have gotten hit in the head lots standing under those almond trees. Why are you sowing your wrath on me about this? So far you haven't shown one thing I have said doesn't relate to the economics of bees and almond rentals. I am getting tired of repeating myself and all you can come up with is that someone who doesn't share your wait and see attitude doesn't have a clue? Yeah, you are on top of it. I don't see you posting anything useful for those asking questions.

Waiting on you Keith...enlighten us with your almond wisdom...tell us the "true story"...I am serious. I would like to know as would others here. Or are you just the "chicken little, sky is falling" kind of guy and this is all we can expect?

Waiting on you Keith...enlighten us with your almond wisdom...
    I see almonds being flat for a year or two, I see the inflation going wild in the U.S. which in turn will force the feds to rise interest rate, I also see a very weak dollar coming.Forign dollars will only keep up our U.S. debt if the return is there and with a weakening dollar interest rate will jump.

Having said that, the real issue is overseas markets, with a weak dollar this could be a big plus for future sales, as far as U.S. sales I think are going to be weak.

Econ 101 Alpha6

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast