Default 1980 Flatbed Ford F700.....

...... with a 390-4v engine and a 5 speed tranny with a 2 speed rear end. Has anyone owned one had one or still use one to haul bees? Any info on how they run? The one I went to look at has 90k in okay shape has a few leaks. The guy wants $1600.00 for it I thought it wasent a bad deal. Or should I stay away. Any thoughts would be appreciated thanks.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    ...... with a 390-4v engine and a 5 speed tranny with a 2 speed rear end. Has anyone owned one had one or still use one...? Any info on how they run? The one I went to look at has 90k...has a few leaks...should I stay away...
    Thoughts and opinions are like navels we all have one and none are idenical.
    Really not enough info to make a determination. Average milage on a commercial truck is proberly 25,000 to 50,000 per year. truck is 29 +/- 29yx35,000=1M miles plus. acual milage may varry. They will run that long,...really.

I suspect it is a 340-361-391cid, 390 is light duty ie f100. Owned many, all new, never liked any. The running gear is OK, power plant is another matter. Suspect real world fuel milage is 5-4 MPGish. Little better if burning fuel oil. A few hours behind the wheel will teach you why old truckers have hemriods and big upper body muscles.

Find out how hard it will be to keep it on the road when DOT inspector is below quota on tickets and looking for an easy ticket. Leaks = DOT ticket. Brakes really sux, clutch too. You may do a car FAX check and see if there was ever a wreck report where the milage was recorded. Big trucks are expempt from milage reporting (truth) laws. GOOD LUCK.

PS: all fleet trucks have been operated by employees, who often take out their frustrations with the boss/wife on the company equipment.
    Scrapfe---Never believe anything in politics until it has been officially denied.--Otto von Bismarck.

I'm with Scrapfe on this. A 1980 with 90K miles works out to a little over 3K per year. Maybe, if it was owned by a little old lady who only drove it to church on Sundays.....and how likely does that seem?
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

Around here if it was bought new by a farmer who used it to haul seed to the field in spring and crops to town in fall that would be about right for milage.

Depends on who had it and what it was used for.

Johnny

Thanks for the info guys. I was told that the truck was owned by forest service then bought by a farmer in corning ca. I was also wondering about that milage seemed a little low to me. I will try to do a carfax see if I get any answers.

So if the truck has leaks u can get a DOT ticket? Wow thats news to me. This truck does have some leaks around oil pan and trans.

Thanks again,

John

Default 1989 Chevy Flatbed w/454

I just bought a 89 Chevy flatbed (12'6"x 8') with a 454 in it's running dullies on the rear. It had 89,300 on it. The body shows wear of 20 years, but the vehicle is very, very sound. The guy I got it from bought it new with 312 miles on it. He had the original record books and his mechanic is the one I use so when I took it by to have him check it out he took one look he said..."keep your inspection money this truck runs great. I know, I do all the work on it".
    Since then it has run great. I have stacked it full and no problems with power or being able to carry the weight. (course with a 454 would you expect there to be a power problem?)

I also have a 80 Chevy truck with a 350 in it that I use for plowing. Not sure how many miles on it, prob about 200+ k but it runs like a top and I abuse the heck out of it.

I would get it checked out by someone who really knows engines and also check the tranny and clutch, two things that with time will need replaced and are prob. going to be the most expensive fixes with an older vehicle.
    Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid. John Wayne

Johnny,
    Alpha6 is right...get somebody to take a look at it. Shelling out $70-$100 or so for a pre-purchase inspection is never a bad investment.
    Barry

Last year I sold a 1984 International I bought new and put about 4000 miles a year on. Even just sitting, wiring gets old, steel and welds get brittle, rubber tires and hoses deteriorate, brake parts get brittle. Some parts are not compatible with new ingredients in fuels. Those age trucks don't have power steering, brakes, air conditioner, any power windows or doors. Good for a labor of love, low mileage use, and a prized possession, not for a daily driver.
    Last edited by odfrank; 01-10-2009 at 06:56 PM.

farm truck.......I would not buy unless it doesn't have to drive very far...

Default 390-4v

I think this unit shoud be a 460-4V for a 1980 model year.
    Have a Ford dealer run the VIN.

Default Re: 1980 Flatbed Ford F700.....

a 360-4V is a valid 1980 engine.

Default Re: 1980 Flatbed Ford F700.....

My 1980 F600 has a 370 - These trucks came with either a 370 or 429 (I would like to drop a 460 in it). The 360's are in the same class as the 390 and 428's, I don't believe those were used in medium duty trucks.