Default A question for the Lip Balm makers.

Could I make a batch of "lip balm" that I could use to apply wax to plastic foundation?

I first thought of simply whipping some water into melted wax... but then I thought perhaps a little lemongrass oil could be included. Or even a little home brewed Honey-B-Healthy.

I picture having something like a giant crayon (using a paper towel tube) that I can peel back as I apply the "balm" to my plastic foundation.

Would this work?

Where do I find directions/recipes?
    BeeCurious
    Trying to think inside the box...

that is a good idea. I would think that it might be somewhat hard to apply as in real lip balm, you have more oils to keep it soft.
    Chef Isaac..Culinary Arts and Honey are a sweet mix! http://www.sweetascanbeehoneyfarm.com & http://www.adoptahive.info

Quote Originally Posted by BeeCurious View Post
    Could I make a batch of "lip balm" that I could use to apply wax to plastic foundation?

I first thought of simply whipping some water into melted wax... but then I thought perhaps a little lemongrass oil could be included. Or even a little home brewed Honey-B-Healthy.

I picture having something like a giant crayon (using a paper towel tube) that I can peel back as I apply the "balm" to my plastic foundation.

Would this work?

Where do I find directions/recipes?
    I think I would run a noticeable pattern across some foundation as an experiment and see if the bees draw it out. My guess is that they would have to remove the lip balm before adding wax which would be counter productive. How would the bees get wax to stick to oil?

Default Softened wax

I wasn't looking to make an oily wax.

I'd like to make it "softer" and lighter.
    BeeCurious
    Trying to think inside the box...

Quote Originally Posted by BeeCurious View Post
    I wasn't looking to make an oily wax.

I'd like to make it "softer" and lighter.
    I'm not an expert but I haven't seen a recipe for lip balm without oil. Wax and oil, melted together, make a firm emulsion (lip balm) that would be a difficult substrate for the bees to add wax. If I am wrong the little experiment where you add lip balm to a small area on one frame during a honey flow should give you the answer. If the bee add wax to the frame without lip balm first then lip balm might be a bad idea.