Default Question about marking frames

What system do you use for marking frames? I use wooden frames with wax foundation. I know many beeks replace their comb at some point. What other things do you keep records on in relation to your frames?

Default marking frames

Colored thumb tacks,different colors mean different things.Jack

foundation vs foundationless, worker cells vs drone, when it was drawn, is it from a deadout?, did another healthy hive draw it and I bove brood in it?, and where did it come from(dadant, mannlake, kelly, brushy mtn)

I pin them for rotation. I mark them on top with a sharpie if they're small cell.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

Branding - state ID # and year put into service. I have frames branded deep 38 years ago and it is barely visible anymore. Using markers is fruitless after a few years of service.

Quote Originally Posted by standman View Post
    What system do you use for marking frames? I use wooden frames with wax foundation. I know many beeks replace their comb at some point. What other things do you keep records on in relation to your frames?
    I don't.
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

yeah I don't either. I can usually tell or get pretty close to the age of a frame of comb on how dark, etc the comb looks. If a frame has any hint of disease or there are sections the bees won't use because of build up I 86 them. With frames being switched out to add honey for winter or because they didn't store enough, making splits, adding new frames between older ones so the bees draw them out faster, there wouldn't be much of a point of actually trying to keep records on them...plus no time.
    Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid. John Wayne

I brand them, then add the year put in service and cell size type in Sharpie. So far, Sharpie looks good.

Tom

Lightbulb Heres' a Sharpie idea.

I have exactly ONE hive more than you.
    That makes my opinion beyond question.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...n/DSC00257.jpg

I like the two frame lengths in one super. I am playing with a top bar have with a shorter frame length and I may use your idea to create splits from lang for it.