Default Big Bees/Small Cell

Will a bee raised out of a 5.4 cell naturaly build 4.9 cell or something in between. I was going to use starter strips about an inch wide in my 12 frame observation hive. Was wondering if the bees will continue to build the same size comb or naturaly grow smaller as they build.

I have some of the thin foundation used for ross rounds that I am going to cut into 1 inch strips to start these frames. Guessing they are 5.4. I'm planing on heading toward smaller cells, just curious Thanks
    I'm not tense, Just terribly, terribly alert!

Take a look at M. Bush's Website, it has alot of information about regressing to small cell. www.bushfarms.com

man, I'd like to see some pictures of a 12 frame o-hive

Dave

I installed a package of bees that were on foundation. They built something in between at first ( 5.1 ) then went to 4.6+ very quickly. I measured the last combs they built last year and it was all 4.6, 4.7....
    Sig

>Will a bee raised out of a 5.4 cell naturaly build 4.9 cell or something in between.

Generally something in between.

> I was going to use starter strips about an inch wide in my 12 frame observation hive. Was wondering if the bees will continue to build the same size comb or naturaly grow smaller as they build.

Not so much as they build as after they raise smaller bees on it.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

From experience, my success was taking bees that were on 5.4 to 5.1 foundation first, then 4.9. I tried going direct to 4.9 from 5.4 and they didn't draw out the 4.9 uniformly. I haven't tried starter strips yet, but may.