Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Truck

I've went up against an F-550 and beat it. The front wheels on the the FL-80 turn sharper. Plus for almost the same money I can get alot more life out of the truck and it gets better gas mileage. I've argued this case before on here.
    I am holding on to the hope I have inside... Kutless

Quote Originally Posted by high rate of speed View Post
    7,8,9,10,12 per gallon,the way keepers are stumbling over one another once again for the almonds is crazy.fill her up.We run a few bobtails,but they still dont amount to a 550 4wd for manuverability.
    I have a F550 4wd , its like turning a school bus around. I here the new ones with coil springs are better , but its still a very heavy truck for offroad use.

Big Grin

Better get under the bus, lou...

Ted, spend least as possible on a truck & put your money between the bottom board and the lid.

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Mansell View Post
    What year is it ? Have you had any problems? Im trying to decide whether to go with Cummins or International.
    While were talking about the next class or two up , my dad has put 800,000 on one of his cummins and it was traded out for a new one, and I saw one with 1.4 million on it, it had been re sleeved but was otherwise not touched.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Jarrett View Post
    Ted, spend least as possible on a truck & put your money between the bottom board and the lid.
    I agree which is why my newest forklift is a 1972 and why I like my truck, less cost per mile you can put on it. The one I had before it I bought from my father after he'd decieded it wasn't worth fixing anymore. It was a Ford LN 7000 with a 20' bed and a 180hp cat 3208. No ac, no cruise, and a one speaker am 8 track radio. I have no idea how many miles were on it cause the speedo was broke long before I got it. Trucks are a loss every time this thing will be as dead as the last one when I'm done with it.

I agree , but if you cant move the bees into the pollination because the truck is in the shop ,then what have you saved?

The yellow paint is looking pretty good Keith.But like you said look between the lid and the pallet.Bottom line is you can't cut cost on your hives,some managment maybe needs to change.but when we show up to home plate, we all need to prevail.

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Mansell View Post
    I agree , but if you cant move the bees into the pollination because the truck is in the shop ,then what have you saved?
    Well Trevor, It seems like alot of keepers spend tons of dough on there trucks and there SHOP & WOODENWARE are crap.

I do a yearly log on equiment every Jan 1, my two ton 12,000 miles, loader 48 hours. I know, I try not haul every 50 states & I'm not putting down anybody that does but most beekeeper's equiment is not run much.

In my construction rental business that I own, I try to put on 750-1000 hours per unit.

P.S. I have had alot of power units, Cat, cummings, detroit, international,perkins,dezts,Izusu.

By far the cheapeast cummings, parts, mantinance, coverage.

Ah heck,Dbest if drag racing paid the bills,we would all be doing it.

I raced dirt circle track, and it was the source of more bills than it paid, the sad part?...I had more into my first car than my first 500 hives.

Almost like buying a boat.Lol.kinda like the bee business.

Quote Originally Posted by No_Bivy View Post
    International.....Whats a fetcher?
    fetcher = feature
    easer = easier
    Mark Berninghausen #youmatter

Reminder

I have a truck much like obest.....freightliner fl 70 with 4'sleeper, 22 ft bed 275 hp cummins air ride with a tag axle. Tag is good for getting you stuck in sand in fl but I can gross 54k. Most I have hauled is 42 k with a tag trailer with forklift with total gross at 48k. Bogged down some hills between Fl and Ky. 9 speed trans is a must.....you got top end for road and bottom end for off road! The 9 speed is the same trans as 13 speed in a semi reall good trans but not syncrognized so takes time to learn to shift it. Dt466 is a good engine too but IF NOTHING ELSE DONT GET A POWERSTROKE!. Dodge now makes a 450 and 550(made by sterling) with a cummins.....they look really good but lots $$$$. I paid 11k for my freightliner with 455k miles on it.

Well Trevor, It seems like alot of keepers spend tons of dough on there trucks and there SHOP & WOODENWARE are crap.

I do a yearly log on equiment every Jan 1, my two ton 12,000 miles, loader 48 hours. I know, I try not haul every 50 states & I'm not putting down anybody that does but most beekeeper's equiment is not run much.

In my construction rental business that I own, I try to put on 750-1000 hours per unit.

P.S. I have had alot of power units, Cat, cummings, detroit, international,perkins,dezts,Izusu.

By far the cheapeast cummings, parts, mantinance, coverage.
    I agree ,I see some beekeepers with nice new trucks ,some can justify it, some can't.

Im just trying to decide whether to go Freightliner or International ,for a 2ton. So any input is appreciated.

Wink

I am like the freightliner....believe it is a little better truck. The International is a good truck and the dt466 cant be beat, or maybe just a little by the cummins...both really good. the transmission in the int can be a problem if it is a 7 speed(I forgot but I know there is one which has had problems not sure it was the seven speed but im sure you can find out on here). Make sure its air ride....makes a big differance!! wouldnt have one without it! Also I wouldnt but a freightliner with any trans but the 9 speed....thats why I pick the freightshaker over the int. I started out using a dodge 3500 and 27' aluminum gooseneck. To much weight....144 hives with swinger grossed out 30k. With vacuum brakes on the tandem gooseneck I could stop, cummins would pull it(I got a 98 12 valve....400hp) but went thru two transmissions! Good luck.....If you havent bougth one within a year and I have a good year let me know...I'm thinking of buying a full size semi w/22bed and 22 ft tag trailer. I think my freightshaker would bog down too much with 512 hives grossing 80k.

Lots of good comments. I ran a mixed fleet of 700 vehicles in my day job. I think beeks. make money with their bees but go broke in the trucking side of the business. Last month I saw a 24ft Dt 466, air, Tool boxes galore. all bells and whistles sell for $14,000.00. 80K miles. A good buy. I have a friend that bought an old Pete 3 axle twin screw, cummins, for $15,000.00. It had 700K miles on it but he has only added 120K in the last 4 years. He had to move his old bed from his last truck. When buying a new truck, you must figure in all the costs. If you finance $60,000.00 in bee equip. how much money could they make compared to that truck. On engines. V-8s made buy anyone, produce twice as much wear metal in the oil as any straight 6 in the same oil change interval. ( oil sampleing) More wear metal in the oil means shorter engine life. BUT! A new truck with crome wheels, nice paint and your name on the door shure makes you feel good.

This is my dad's truck similar to what suttonbeeman is talking about. My dad got the original idea from Dave Hackenburg but tweaked it slightly to his liking. The truck bed is 27' and the trailer is 25' both air ride the trailer is rated at 36,000 and the truck is 54,000 so we can haul 80,000 without much trouble. The only real hang up is horse power its only about 350. I hate driving this thing but my dad loves it. Its ugly as sin and when pollination costomers see it they don't think we're getting rich without working for it.

Last edited by Bizzybee; 01-06-2009 at 05:58 AM.

I live in the Mtn's, so my international is geared low. I pull an 8k chipper with a full box of chips no problem..........250hp I think. DT466 4400

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast