Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Truck

Default New Truck

Well my fellow beeks, I have decided to buy a new truck and need some advice and some ideas....
    With that being said, here is the rest of the story ...I am looking at ether a 550 club cab ford or an Int 4300 with a DT466 Eng??????
    I will be pulling a 32ft goose neck with a gvw of 26000 lb from Northern New York to South Carolina with 40 pallets of bees ( 18000 bees and equipment +/- )
    Now what I am looking for is all of those ( if I had it to do over again I would have done....) ? to the flat bed
    tool box,tie downs, rope hooks ,a ramp , lights .... you get the idea
    this is going to be a one time purchase

DT466 without a doubt...I have a one ton 350 and a dt466 4400. The bigger truck actually turns better and gets better mileage loaded.......

My FORD(fix or repair daily) is my 4x4 option, other then that I like the International much better
    Last edited by No_Bivy; 01-04-2009 at 05:56 AM.

Agree, those 466' are tough as nails! I wouldn't put it on the same playing field with a Ford.
    "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." Winston Churchill

if you go with a flat bed you can avoid CDL, but if you are pulling a trailer that long with 18k on it, you will have to be a CDL driver. FYI

If it doesn't have air brakes. Air and a trailer moves up to Class A.
    "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." Winston Churchill

If there is more then 9k on the trailer...it's CDL

I have a CDL my question is, Ford or INT , and what fetchers would you want on your flat bed that would make life easer

International.....Whats a fetcher?

If the trailer has a GVW of 10,000lbs you are going to be required to have a class A cdl. You can fit 32 pallets on a 24 foot flatbed, unless you go to a 10 wheeler . If you are just asking for opinions here's mine. Get a F-550 v-10 with a club cab , stick a 12ft bed on it and just hire a semi to move the bees. There is so much less stress involved that it more than makes up for the cost of the shipping.

Default New Truck

The EPA has done a fine job of killing the fuel mileage on the smaller diesel trucks & pick ups.
    My son has a 6.0 Ford [edit by mod]
    He tells me the 6.4 are not as lot better as the get no mileage and seem to be in the shop more than on the road working.
    A few months back I heard that it was next to a 6 month wait for a V-10 in a 350 or 450 in a cab/chassis due to the diesel prices.
    From what I know I would check out International/Navistar, the company that is.
    I do not believe they are in much better shape $$$$$ wise than 2 of the Detroit 3 that are broke
    Last edited by Barry; 01-04-2009 at 01:54 PM. Reason: profanity

you gonna get in trouble for cussin'....

My diesel mech says the same about the newer 6.0's...lots of problems. I would look for an older 7.3power stroke if your were gonna buy one.
    Last edited by No_Bivy; 01-04-2009 at 09:29 AM.

Default New truck

I will second Trevors comment. Let the semis haul the big load, then scatter & work in a comfortable 1 ton you can pull your loader with.

This is my truck and I love it. 12-14 mpg when empty and with the big trailer and bees totaling 54,000 pounds I got 9 mpg. Cummins reccomends a rebuild at a million miles.

[

PS. If you look under the "almond pollination" thread we talked alot about trucks at the end.
    I am holding on to the hope I have inside... Kutless

Quote Originally Posted by dbest View Post
    This is my truck and I love it. 12-14 mpg when empty and with the big trailer and bees totaling 54,000 pounds I got 9 mpg. Cummins reccomends a rebuild at a million miles.

[

PS. If you look under the "almond pollination" thread we talked alot about trucks at the end.
    Is that a Fl-70

FL-80, 18' bed, 9 speed, 270hp 8.3L cummins, 33,000 GVW even though the law only allows 30,000.

Quote Originally Posted by dbest View Post
    FL-80, 18' bed, 9 speed, 270hp 8.3L cummins, 33,000 GVW even though the law only allows 30,000.
    What year is it ? Have you had any problems? Im trying to decide whether to go with Cummins or International.

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Mansell View Post
    What year is it ? Have you had any problems? Im trying to decide whether to go with Cummins or International.

2002, I haven't had any major problems. Heater valve, and I broke the air hose to my seat the other day. That was really annoying.

blows a Ford outta the water.....nice truck

Default mileage

7,8,9,10,12 per gallon,the way keepers are stumbling over one another once again for the almonds is crazy.fill her up.We run a few bobtails,but they still dont amount to a 550 4wd for manuverability.

Quote Originally Posted by high rate of speed View Post
    7,8,9,10,12 per gallon,the way keepers are stumbling over one another once again for the almonds is crazy.fill her up.We run a few bobtails,but they still dont amount to a 550 4wd for manuverability.
    you must be joking.....A 550 takes about an acre to turn. A Int DT466 is super tight.....steeper wheelcut

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast