Lightbulb Advice needed...

I've been thinking about building a new stye of hive to use, similiar to a top bar hive but with standard 9 1/8 frames. And seperate it in seven removable sections that would make 8- 3 or 4 frame nucs, with alternating entrances on each side. This would be a great addition in the beeyard as I could use it to make splits, and later close up unneeded entrances and use it as a long hive as an experiment. As well as it being a simple design and cheap to make. My question is has anyone here ever tried anything like this? And if so, any advice on the design as I am still trying to come out with the best design before I start to build. If it works well for this purpose, I believe it would be the cheapest way to expand.

The idea sounds great I cannot recall of anyone ever trying it but you never know it is definatly worth a shot. Design it yourself and make it easy for you.
    Procrastination is the assassination of inspiration.
    www.customwoodkitsinternational.com

>I've been thinking about building a new stye of hive to use, similiar to a top bar hive but with standard 9 1/8 frames.

A long hive then?

> And seperate it in seven removable sections that would make 8- 3 or 4 frame nucs

How do they fit together to make a long hive? Are you just talking about divding it? I think you'll be happier just dividing a ten or eight frame box so you can still lift it and move it around.

> with alternating entrances on each side. This would be a great addition in the beeyard as I could use it to make splits, and later close up unneeded entrances and use it as a long hive as an experiment. As well as it being a simple design and cheap to make. My question is has anyone here ever tried anything like this?

I've divided a lot of ten frame boxes into four two frame nucs...

> And if so, any advice on the design as I am still trying to come out with the best design before I start to build.

Make sure the bees can't get from one side to the next. In other words you'll need to have a groove for the divider to fit int to get it bee tight.

> If it works well for this purpose, I believe it would be the cheapest way to expand.

It will save some lumber to not have the double wall of separate boxes.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Build on!

Then you will come up with new ideas and build them something else.

Thanks for the replies, I did a little searching and found a picture pretty close to the hive I had in mind. http://www.dartingtonhive.co.uk/hiveinfo.html

I've been wanting to build a top bar hive, to go along with the langstoth hives I have, but wanted to be able to make it universal with the others. I see that it has already been done, thus the "darlington hive". The only thing I will be doing different is making a groove inside to place the dividers in, using seperate inner covers for each section, and making 8 entrances (a hole drilled on the lower side) that can be closed off. I would only want 1-2 of these, and do not intend on moving them.

The biggest thing that I am worried about is if I put all 8 entrances on the same side, they will likely drift quite a bit. I could put them on alternating sides but that will put you in the direct flying path while looking at any section, which I could deal with if its the best option. Any suggestions on this part of it? Thanks, Daniel

dhood, that sounds like a great idea, and I've been recently thinking about building a "hybrid" top bar hive that I can use regular frames in to keep me from having to get my one hive of Rambo Girls all freaked out. If I didn't have to break down supers, it would save me and the girls much grief. I've been pondering the fine points lately such as entrance placement, feeder type I can use, and ventilation issues.
    So many weeds.......so little time.