Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sad Weird hive damage... what's doing this?

Check these out please and let me know if anyone has any ideas. There are 3 strange chewed spots on a colony. There aren't mice, and none of the holes would have admitted a mouse. This colony is up on a stand in my yard. My only guess so far is woodpeckers/flickers?

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a60...ivedamage2.jpg

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a60...ivedamage3.jpg

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a60...ivedamage4.jpg
    Bees, brews and fun
    in Lyons, CO

Maybe a skunk? I see from the third picture that the bees are using one as an entrance, if it were only one hole, I've seen them chew through an entrance reducer before. Most likely something was after the bees and it looks like you use top entrances.

We do have skunks around here, but the entrance (typical bottom entrance) I would think would have been easier. And my dogs have a lot of access to the yard which has deterred skunks a lot, and the mutts haven't been skunked recently.
    Bees, brews and fun
    in Lyons, CO

Kinda looks like squirrel damage I get on my Blue Bird boxes.

wood rat?

If it was woodpeckers I would think you would hear them unless your hives are not within earshot.
    Regards, Barry

The chew pattern looks a lot like the holes that racoons left when they chewed into my bird avairy. I have my hives set on rails that are about 16" off the ground, and they don't seem to bother my hives (I think they are reluctant to expose their bellies to the bees since they would have to raise up on their hind legs to reach the openings). I did have them kind of tear holes in a foam hive once, which I rectified by exchanging it out for a wooden one.
    "The UNKNOWN, huh? That would be SNORBERT ZANGOX over in Waycross."

Field mouse looking for a home...or..dull toothed beaver......
    "I reject your reality, and substitute my own." Adam Savage

Anyone have tips for silencing my .17 HMR ?

I haven't heard any rapping, but the holes seem to narrow as they deepen. Whereas I woulda thunk that if it were a chewing action it'd be more lengthy and scalloped out. But then I'm known to over-analyze .
    Bees, brews and fun
    in Lyons, CO

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Brewcat View Post
    I haven't heard any rapping, but the holes seem to narrow as they deepen. Whereas I woulda thunk that if it were a chewing action it'd be more lengthy and scalloped out. But then I'm known to over-analyze .
    I think that would be determined by the particular animal. A field mouse has a pointy head/mouth and would make a very different hole shape than a dull toothed beaver. Also, what do the chips/shavings look like? Long fibers torn from the board or small bits? You'll have to become inspector clue-so (Inspector Clouseau).
    Regards, Barry

I think it does look like woodpeckers.

Look at the damage to the wood fibers. It looks like a chisel made the marks. There isn't any apparent gnawing as a squirrel or mouse would do. No scratching or claw marks as a racoon or skunk would do.

On photo Hivedamage3.jpg you can see marks left by the woodpecker's bill. Evident especially on the right hole...above and just to the left. Marks can also be seen above the left hole, but are harder to see.

wood rat......

little gray aliens...
    "Wine is a constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy" Ben Franklin

Default Bound if I know

[QUOTE=Ben Brewcat;380013]Check these out please and let me know if anyone has any ideas...My...guess...is woodpeckers/flickers?

I would guess squirrels. This is the time of year they start constructing their nests. Has the wood fibers that were ripped out gone missing? If so I suspect you will find them inside a squirrel’s nest.

There are many species and subspecies of squirrels. I understand that the Fox squirrel has been moving West into Colorado for 100 years. Red or Fox squirrels are not creatures of the deep woods but of small woodlots and fence rows. Your location looks like a likely spot for them.

I don’t know if you have any flying squirrels there but those little buggers are notorious for constructing bolt holes or escape dens.

http://www.flyingsquirrels.com/Shelter/cavity.html

Flying squirrels also gather dry wood fibers to line their nursery nests just like the regular old “grounded” squirrels will.

http://www.flyingsquirrels.com/Shelter/oddities.html

Pecker Woods, and red and yellow shafted flickers will usually start holes in the middle or vertical, not in the horizontal joints between planks in buildings etc.

What to look for to determine flying squirrel damage v other types of squirrels feeding.

http://www.flyingsquirrels.com/diet.html scroll down to the nut pictures. That be me.
    Scrapfe---Never believe anything in politics until it has been officially denied.--Otto von Bismarck.

I can't say for sure, but we live out in the woods, and at one point had a woodpecker going after an untreated overhang on the house. The holes looked a lot like that!

Jennifer

I vote for bird.Pieces look ripped out vs. gnawed.

Try a Tobasco spray.That should deter most mammals.

Birds? Tanglefoot,spikes http://www.deterapigeon.com/

Buy a supressor.

Cost + 200.00 for the Fed Tax stamp and local LE sign-off if you do it for yourself and you are good to go.

Got myself a nice little set up for my Ruger 10/22 last month.
    Richard
    Carriage House Farm, North Bend, Ohio

Quote Originally Posted by Durandal View Post
    Buy a supressor.

Cost + 200.00 for the Fed Tax stamp and local LE sign-off if you do it for yourself and you are good to go.

Got myself a nice little set up for my Ruger 10/22 last month.
    I hear that a baby's milk bottle's nipple works<_> not for sure though.

JB:}
    "Life without God is like an unsharpened pencil - it has no point."

I don't how to silence a .17 but I know how to silence a 22. First you have to buy CB's they're subsonic. Next take a 2" by 12" piece of PVC pipe cap one end and drill a 1/4" hole in the center of the cap. Next fill it with cotton balls. Then use a roll of electrical tape and roll it onto the end of barrel of your gun (make 3 rolls in a row this takes about 2 rolls of tape) the idea is to put the PVC onto the end of the gun. When you fire the gun you'll just hear a click and then the bullet swishing through the air.
    I am holding on to the hope I have inside... Kutless

My vote is a bird, no claw marks, and mice and tree rats need a corner to chew on they have a hard time chewing on a flat or 45 degree angle, there is no knawing going on just chipped up wood.
    I'm not tense, Just terribly, terribly alert!