Default Someone has been messing with my hive!

I keep my hive on the side of my house, next to the air conditioning unit. I built a wooden privacy fence with gate, to keep it out of view. However, I have not kept the gate locked.

So after not looking at the hive for some time, besides casually from time to time looking to see if there is any flight coming from the hive, yesterday I take a slightly closer look and there are large multi-colored "candies" on my bottom board within the hive!

After being strafed, I put on my hood and gloves and was able to remove what I believe were something like 20 mentos-like candies from inside my hive on the bottom board. When I ran them under the faucet, they had a citrus-y smell that made me believe they were candy (and not something like a pesticide). There was otherwise no odor.

Who in tarnation would do something like that????

I have put a lock on the gate, but anyone that was really determined, would be able to get past the fence (kid or adult).

I would think it would most likely be a kid. I hope he/she got stung. Several times.

And oh yeah, I got stung on the neck through my veil in the process of getting the mentos out of my hive. Thanks, Mr. Vandalizer.

i'm sorry they look hungry Good luck

couldn't it be pesticide and the citrus smell is supposed to be an attractant?

just a thought
    Dave

Sounds more like you have a young kid close by thats interested in bees. When I was very young, maybe 7-8 my cousin and I would curiously mess with my grandfathers bees to see what kind of reaction we would get. In our case it was July and we learned our lesson. If I'm right, and you had an idea who it was, a little education about bees would most likely solve the problem. When he found out we were messing with his bees, I started to run for the hills, but suprisingly he took me out to the beeyard and introduced me to beekeeping, and taught me to respect the bees. I've never looked at bees the same since.

My vote is for the kid who is interested in bees. Leave a note saying you are willing to show them a closer look in the hive, etc.
    Home of the ventilated and sting resistant Ultra Breeze bee suits and jackets
    http://www.honeymoonapiaries.com

Could a mouse be storing his treasures in your hive?

Around here the packrats tend to do more of this kind of behavior than the deermice, but it's just a thought. Maybe check for droppings, just to be sure.

Otherwise, you're probably right: someone is trying to feed your bees

Consider yourself lucky, I suppose. I had some turned over. The property owner where the yard is located suggested that it might have been the wind....until I pointed out the bb's and pellets in the sides of the boxes.
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

I'm for the education route. I caught neighborhood kids throwing rocks at my hives. After denying it at first, one ratted on the other, then both on each other. I Went and made them get their parents and explained first of all that it's wrong to mess with other people's property and it could be dangerous to mess with the bees. They all apologized and started asking questions like why don't I get stung etc, so I told them a little about beekeeping and offered to let them look at the hives, gave them a jar of honey and haven't had a problem since. That was 2 summers ago.

Default Someone

Sounds like someone is curious and trying to interact a little, no bad intentions. A kid most likely.

I agree with the kid possibility. And to give up his candy, he must be a caring sort and probably would welcome an invitation.
    His Hive Honey Farm - Do all for His glory!