Thread: Pollen type?

Default Pollen type?

Hey guys, I was out standing by the hive a few minutes ago. It's warm out the sun is shining and it's about 55deg, there were a few workers returning, and I noticed about half of them were laden with a very bright orange Pollen. I'm in the mid south, and this is JAN, anyone have any idea what would be blooming this time of the year, or have my girls found and open bag of Cheetos's?
    If it's not terribly apparent, I'm learning all about beeking all over again, due to massive wreck, and a coma/brain damage, I have severe memory loss from before my wreck. I can't recall any flower that would be open this season.
    Any ideas? Also, are there any other substances that can be collected or are collected using the pollen pouches?

I'm in SC, and on every warm day that I've went to check on the hives, they two have been bringing in pollen. color varies from light yellow to orange. I also am puzzled by this. I am a novice in beekeeping, but I've lived here all my life and don't have a clue what could be in bloom right now.

Default Pollen Type?

I am in SC seeing the same thing. My wife says it is camilias that will bloom now.

Steve

I am in Central MS and saw some wild turnips blooming today. They have a yellow blossom so that could be it.

Johnny

I saw some narcissis blooming yesterday and yes the cultivated mustards are blooming... also a common yellow flower which I think??? may have been broomweed.

haven't figured out where it might be coming from but I saw some bright red pollen coming in here about a week ago.

Yes, that was another one I saw, a bright red, and when I say bright, I mean florescent, both the orange and the red were very deep and bright, that's why it surprised me so, at first I thought it was something trying to rob the hive etc until I walked up close to see what it was. They weren't actually florescent, but they were very rich colors. my wife and I drove around to see what it was but saw nothing, On top of that two weeks ago we had temperatures in the low teens for three days so it had to bloom since then.

There are several wintering flowering plants in bloom now even though we had temperatures in the upper teens a few days ago.

In my yard here in Chapel Hill, I currently have Camellias, Fragrant Wintersweet, Stinking Hellebore, Japanese Apricot, and Winter Jasmine in flower. The girls are getting pollen on the Camellias (bright deep orange), Wintersweet (light dull yellow), Hellebore (cream/grey), and Apricot (light yellow).

Henbit pollen is red. The plants are growing here, but I have not seen any in flower yet.