Default New Insemination Device and Syringe

I have communicated with a few people about the development of a new instrument and syringe and I have been working on and finally had a little extra time over the holidays to finish up the assembly. I developed a more economical instrument for use by microbreeders. The new Latshaw Micro Instrument is highly simplified and features a honey bee semen homogenizing syringe. The syringe enables the collection and homogenizing to take place as a one-step process.

The use of homogenized semen has been around for some time, but previous techniques have always been hit and miss. This new syringe greatly simplifies the homogenization process, thus making it more practical!

Genetic diversity is extremely important in the honey bee mating strategy.

There is a better explanation along with some pics listed on my website. I hope you enjoy the information and would appreciate any input.

Happy New Year!
    Joe
    Breeder Queens & Honey Bee Nutritional Supplements
    www.latshawapiaries.com

Hi Joe
    does your new design syringe do away with the need to mix the semen with saline when homogenizing. Also could it be used on any other instruments,athough i appreciate you have designed this to fit your own instrument.Looks really good,and i would think a major leap forward from all the mixing and centrifuging,which can more easily lead to contamination of semen.
    pete.

Pete,

My new syringe was designed specifically for the new instrument, but I am working on something that may a bit more universal to fit other instruments.

Saline solution is still required for filling the syringe, but most of the saline is expelled prior to semen collect. The saline ensures a "sealed" system where air is not allowed into the syringe.
    www.latshawapiaries.com

Wink

Thank you Joe, when you design one that would fit other instruments,then i know someone who would like one.

Joe the new instrument looks alot like half of the Mackensen knock off I was designing for Sue a few years back. The difference is your design is below the $1,000 price boundry. That is the point where many believe II comes affordable to the small guy.
    Home of the ventilated and sting resistant Ultra Breeze bee suits and jackets
    http://www.honeymoonapiaries.com

Joe, how do you advance and stabilize the tip and then twist the plunger?
    Home of the ventilated and sting resistant Ultra Breeze bee suits and jackets
    http://www.honeymoonapiaries.com

Bill,

You are correct, Mackensen had probably the most simplified cost effective instrument on the market, but unfortunately his instruments are no longer made. As with the Mackensen Instrument, my new instrument is based on pressure/tension slides. Each tension point has a locking thumbscrew to secure/stabilize the syringe once it is in correct position.

As for cost, I am trying... I have many prototypes, but machining costs are what make things challenging. I have worked with many instruments and regardless of the design; I want the movements to be smooth and secure.

Joe
    www.latshawapiaries.com