Thread: IPM Question

Default IPM Question

I have 2 nucs I bought this fall. That are now in 10 frame meds. They are on standard bottom boards. Tomorrow I am building SBB for them and switching them over Friday. Should I place a piece of plastic under them sprayed with pam and see what a natural 24 hour drop brings? Or do a powered sugar treatment and then count? Or something else.
    Chuck Norris has a grizzly bear carpet in his room. The bear isn't dead it is just afraid to move.

Default IPM question

Without powder sugar it would be a natural mite fall.With powder sugar it would be a induced mite fall that in my opinion is better.I!m guessing the plastic is white or some light color so the mites will be easy to see.Jack

Quote Originally Posted by brooksbeefarm View Post
    Without powder sugar it would be a natural mite fall.With powder sugar it would be a induced mite fall that in my opinion is better.I!m guessing the plastic is white or some light color so the mites will be easy to see.Jack
    Thanks Jack.

I took Keith Jarrett's advice a while back and got a bunch of campaign signs and the ones that are white one the back I am using now. I will paint the the 2 sided ones. (No Pun Intended)

But that is what I was wondering if the induced would be better to do as a initial count. With the #8 cloth I bought. I made a top cover with it to keep the bees in while I do the dusting.
    Chuck Norris has a grizzly bear carpet in his room. The bear isn't dead it is just afraid to move.

I would induce the count. Remember that you're trying to control the mite as well as gather statistics. The key is to do about the same thing every time you count. That way, your statistics stay somewhat valid. Why not drop a lot more mites while you're monitoring the mite load!
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

I would do both; take a 24 or 48 hour natural drop sample, then do an induced drop. If you can correlate natural drop to total phoretic mite drop it may be useful for determining your treatment threshold.
    John B Jacob www.oldsolbees.com