Thread: Help please

Default Help please

I have been asked to give a 2-3 hour intro to beekeeping "class" to a group of farmers enroled at an ag school in our area. I need to pull together a course outline early in January and quite frankly, I am at a loss. Is there a resource out there that I can use to get me started? Any help would be appreciated.
    Petra

Thumbs Up try here

http://www.beemaster.com/site/honeybee/beehome.htm

Good luck and good for you for teaching this course for new beekeepers! -Danno

Are the farmers there to get into beekeeping or to just hear about beekeeping? If it's just to hear about it. I would talk about beekeeping but spend more time on the benefits of bees for their crops. For Ex. See what type of crops they are growing and pull some stats on the pollination needs of those crops.
    Chuck Norris has a grizzly bear carpet in his room. The bear isn't dead it is just afraid to move.

My guess is that participants will probably be interested in maintaining a couple hives on their farms more for pollination than for honey production and that it is more of an overview on beekeeping than intensive "nuts & bolts" beekeeping class. It's a voluntary class so there already is an inherent interest.

I may be new here but I'm not new to the web and forums. That seems a little tacky to post links to another forum. I'm surprised the moderators let that happen here?

I'm not here to stir up trouble. That just doesn't seem right.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek View Post
    I would talk about beekeeping but spend more time on the benefits of bees for their crops. For Ex. See what type of crops they are growing and pull some stats on the pollination needs of those crops.
    This is at an institute that advocates sustainability and organic farming check it out... http://www.michaelfieldsaginst.org/p...mSchedule.html

Do you have access to Power Point and a projector? I have a presentation for into to bee keeping I will be happy to send you. Beware, it's more of a public awareness and education presentation, but it would be so easy to expand it to a full blown training. My presentations are typically at social clubs like Rotary, Lions, etc. so we're limited to 45 min or less. Sometimes I do school groups and am given the entire class period or more to present & discuss.

I also have some 13" x 18" full color photo prints from Dadant that I show/discuss, bring a hive with frames - undrawn, extracted, Pierco, etc. A few sample products and items- queen cage, tools (smoker, hive tool, etc.) and an assortment of other items makes for a nice presentation. With adults, you can be very factual without being too dry, young kids need it toned-down and not too detail oriented.

My presentation just goes through your year in the bee yard in basic outline and I bring some props to show them to help explain. This is a great opportunity for you and your local industry!

Quote Originally Posted by Swobee View Post
    Do you have access to Power Point and a projector? I have a presentation for into to bee keeping I will be happy to send you. Beware, it's more of a public awareness and education presentation, but it would be so easy to expand it to a full blown training. My presentations are typically at social clubs like Rotary, Lions, etc. so we're limited to 45 min or less. Sometimes I do school groups and am given the entire class period or more to present & discuss.

I also have some 13" x 18" full color photo prints from Dadant that I show/discuss, bring a hive with frames - undrawn, extracted, Pierco, etc. A few sample products and items- queen cage, tools (smoker, hive tool, etc.) and an assortment of other items makes for a nice presentation. With adults, you can be very factual without being too dry, young kids need it toned-down and not too detail oriented.

My presentation just goes through your year in the bee yard in basic outline and I bring some props to show them to help explain. This is a great opportunity for you and your local industry!

I have to admit, I feel honored to be asked! I respect what this institution is doing and am proud to have been asked to be a part of it.
    I would love your presentation. I have powerpoint and probably have access to a projector as well. If nothing else, it gives me a starting point. The Institute has hives that I can use for demonstration purposes. Thanks for your willingness to share! You can send it to petra@luscioushoney.com.
    Petra

Quote Originally Posted by rumblebee View Post
    That seems a little tacky to post links to another forum. I'm surprised the moderators let that happen here?
    I disagree. Maybe some forums are different, but I feel the intent of this forum is to inform and to learn, not to isolate ourselves from information that does not happen to originate here. I think shunning other forums would be self-defeating, no different than refusing to read books.
    “The keeping of bees is like the direction of sunbeams.” -Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Hobie View Post
    I disagree. Maybe some forums are different, but I feel the intent of this forum is to inform and to learn, not to isolate ourselves from information that does not happen to originate here. I think shunning other forums would be self-defeating, no different than refusing to read books.
    Quite right ^_^
    Life is not a puzzle to put together but a reality to experience

Quote Originally Posted by Hobie View Post
    I couldn't agree more.

Default beekeeping info

I also have a power point program I use to teach to agribusiness classes in all of the high schools in my county (5 of them). Another beekeeper and myself usually teach one day per high school. It started out with just the high school students that take agribusiness classes but some other teachers heard of it and now we reach about half high school and half grammer or grade school. Let me know if this might help.

Butch Adams
    AKA NorthAlaBeeKeep
    you must endeavor to persevere

Default huh?

[quote=rumblebeeI'm not here to stir up trouble.[/quote]

With a name like "rumblebee"?

Webster definition of "rumble:3 a: widespread expression of dissatisfaction or unrest b: a street fight especially among gangs

I'm sorry you are offended by my name odfrank. Perhaps you have chosen a definition of your choosing that may differ from my own? I could ask why you are so odd?

I will concede on to all of your remarks. It certainly isn't something that I'm used to seeing. But I didn't just take your words for it, I checked out the other site as well. It seems to me that they also allow links back to this site although there aren't many. But there aren't many here either. I walked away from reading some talk about it with mixed feelings to whether it truly acceptable or not.

I imagine it boils down to what the owners off the site want or expect and that of their members.

It's just that you don't find many successful sites allowing links (free advertising) at their expense.

I personally wouldn't post links to any other site that would detract or pull members away from the site that I'm on. Or post links to my own sites and take advantage of the site by using their success for my own advertising. Certainly not when I'm "not" paying for the use of the site. I hope these people are getting enough in donations to pay for such a resource as this. And I say that as if I were posting from here or as a member of beemaster.

Maybe this explains my comment when I chose "tacky" as the operative word.

But, I'm finished. Like I said, I'm not here to cause trouble. Hoping you all have a wonderful evening!!

Quote Originally Posted by NorthALABeeKeep View Post
    I also have a power point program I use to teach to agribusiness classes in all of the high schools in my county (5 of them). Another beekeeper and myself usually teach one day per high school. It started out with just the high school students that take agribusiness classes but some other teachers heard of it and now we reach about half high school and half grammer or grade school. Let me know if this might help.

Butch Adams
    AKA NorthAlaBeeKeep
    I will take any help I can get. Thank you!
    (see emaill address in previous post)
    Petra

Petra, once you get an idea of what you are going to do, be sure and practice it, and figure out how long it will last so you can get everything you want to mention into your presentation. Three hours goes by in the blink of an eye when your talking about bees. You can spend that much time just for the question and answer period.

Powerpoint is good for a big group because you can get it up on the wall where everyone can see. For smaller groups, an actual hive with some foundation, some drawn frames etc seems to work best for me. It's more hands on. I always keep at least one full frame of honey in the freezer and bring it along also. good luck

rumblebee, it might be different if we were selling something, or had "competitors," or were worried about losing customers, but that just isn't the case here. The advice here is free... and worth every penny
    “The keeping of bees is like the direction of sunbeams.” -Henry David Thoreau

Thanks Michael! Looks like great information (The second and third links. The first link requires a password)
    Petra