Thread: Foaming honey

Question Foaming honey

Extracted honey was put into half gallon clean jars in July 2008. Looked fine. Used fine filter. In Dec 2008 retrieved a jar from basement storage to find granulation. Heated to handle granulation. After heating, when poured a thick foam eventually forms on surface. The taste is OK but nothing to win a blue ribbon. Granulation is not unusual for this area of GA.

What's the cause of this foam? Never had this problem in my many, many years keeping bees. Thanks, Shoal Creek

sounds like your makeing mead:}:}

JB:}
    "Life without God is like an unsharpened pencil - it has no point."

It seems to be a by-product of the heating process. I've had the same thing happen after heating honey that's started to granulate. I'd like to hear what others have to say too.

How did you heat it and to what temp?

do you know your moisture content?

Jack

I've seen honey foam before. It was due to some amount of fermentation going on. Often, when honey crystalizes, there is a liquid layer on top. This is thin, and can ferment. So, check for fermentation.

The foam is caused by the release of carbon dioxide gas -which is a by product of some fermentation-if the jars crystallize solid fermentation stops if only partially fermentation can exelarate-if the jars where crystalized solid you may see white streaks in the solid honey this is from the release of carbon dioxide gas-RDY-B

Every year, I extract some cascara honey.It is dark and very thick( like 13%), and never granulates.Any heating at all in the sump will cause it to turn foamy and milky white. Eventually it settles out with a layer of creamy foam on top.An old honey plants book mentions honey from this source as medicinal. Not sure if any of this is relevant to the OP's problem.

In my experience, the same thing that makes your honey cloudy after extraction (unheated) is what makes the foam. It is microscopic air bubbles that are trapped by the spinning process. As you spin, there are millions of honey threads laid one on top of another. Air gets trapped.

As the honey is warmed it's viscosity becomes much lower and the air bubbles rise to the top forming foam. The foam generally won't dissipate because the surface tension is too high. So, drain the honey from the bottom after warming and you will get clear honey until the foam reaches the outlet.

It is also my opinion that these tiny air bubbles are in fact the point sources for granulation to start. With my cloudly honey (full of these air bubbles) it will stay liquid for a week but then become solid overnight. At that point there are no visible crystals, it is almost like creamed honey

Fuzzy
    Last edited by Fuzzy; 12-29-2008 at 11:13 AM.

Makes sense to me Fuzzy. Thanks.