Anybody out there that celebrates New Years Day by feasting on hog jowl and black-eyed peas? If there are I would like to hear from you. I’ll show you mine if you’ll show me yours…recipe that is.

Hopping John:

2lb smoked sausage or red-hots sliced ¼ inch thick.
1lb smoked hog jowl diced
1lb dried black-eyed peas
1 lb long grain brown rice
3 medium onions diced
3-5 cloves garlic minced or crushed
1 green pimento (bell) pepper finely chopped
Small hand full of fresh parsley chopped
¼ to ½ teaspoon cyanine pepper, or more if you dare
Salt and black pepper to suite your taste
4 to 6 cups chicken broth or prepared bullion
2 or 3 bunches of chopped and crisped green onions (soaked in ice water) or 5 or 6 bunches of wild onions (traditional) for a garnish

Cut the sausages into ¼-inch thin slices sauté drain and set aside
Dice hog jowl into about ½-inch chunks
Pick through the black-eyed peas and remove all stones
Place peas and hog jowl in a saucepan and bring to a slow boil with the hog jowl for 5 to 12 minutes or until the peas are about like raw (green) black-eyed peas drain and retain the peas and jowl
Or dump the peas and jowl into a pot of boiling water the night before immediately set off the heat and allow to stand overnight (drain and retain as in above)
In a heavy Dutch oven with a tight fitting lid (tight fitting lid is important) sauté the onions, garlic, green pimento, parsley, and add salt and pepper to taste.
Add the sautéed sausages, and reconstituted black-eyed peas and 4 cups plus a dab of chicken broth to the Dutch oven. Stir in the rice and bring to a low boil, cook there for 5 minutes. Cover the Dutch oven tightly and reduce the heat to a slow simmer. Don’t look now, keep that cover on for at least 45 minutes.
(If you only soak your black-eyed peas use all 6 cups of broth.)
After 45 minutes remove the lid from the Dutch oven and check to make sure the rice is tender. It ain’t? I told you to keep that lid on tight! Stir the pot to recombine ingredients and serve garnished with the green onions and a bottle of Tabasco sauce on the side.
A fresh hot pone of white corn bread and a cold glass of home clabbered buttermilk goes mighty well with a Hoppin John too.
Eat, enjoy, and have good luck and money the rest of the new year.