Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2009 NUC prices

tecumseh...
    I will be looking for some of those big fat Bright Yellow Bees in the spring..

Tecumseh,

Me too......and a few queen cells.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by tecumseh View Post
    (hopefully barry will not throw me under the bus)...
    Nah your probably fine. Change your name to Tecumseh Jarrett. Then try to post it.
    Chuck Norris once roundhouse kicked Hulk in the face. Now he hides in the forest and changed his name to Shrek

I just ordered my first NUC. Dropping off a deep minus 4 frames. By the time the new queen is mated and her laying pattern is checked, I should just about have the deep drawn out. I pick it up the first week in April. Paid $75.
    Michael
    2nd year beek, 3 hives!

If anybody wants any 2009 Nucs from me this year it will cost you $500.00 each. Maybe prices will be lower in 2010, but for now I need to re-gain value on my retirement account.

I think prices will rise on later nucs once winter is over and everybody can survey their winter losses. If you can buy now for 75.00 each, do so.
    Always question Conventional Wisdom.

Default 09 nucs

I'll probably be buying a couple hundred 5 framers for $150 ea, but before almonds. I can recoup $140 in pollination within 10 days of pickup. Expensive yet cheap.

I have ordered two four frame nucs here in Florida at $90.00 each was quoted $160.00 for a ten frame hive through Dadant in High Springs

Hope it helps

Quote Originally Posted by Tom G. Laury View Post
    I'll probably be buying a couple hundred 5 framers for $150 ea, but before almonds. I can recoup $140 in pollination within 10 days of pickup. Expensive yet cheap.
    I have seen alot of hives advertised in ABJ for about that much...buy those and split them..
    "I reject your reality, and substitute my own." Adam Savage

Default Split them

Not before almonds

Not before almonds
    "100 strong eight frame doubles, '08 queens, Before almonds $165. Also 100 after almonds $55. Call Sam (530)347-1987. Cottonwood CA"

"Singles for sale in CA before Almonds..Please call (303)260-0641."

"200 colonies for sale in central Texas(good equipment). Asking $125 each, will sell all or part (979)884-2413"

That's just the ones I felt like typing in, so I guess they are available before almonds, just have to look alittle bit, and all were listed in ABJ volume 149 NO. 1.... Beats the crap out of paying $150 for nucs.

Quote Originally Posted by JordanM View Post
    Id sure like to know where to get nucs for $10?

I can sell you empty ones for that.
    Mark Berninghausen "Ships at a distance have every man's wish on board." Zora Neale Hurston

Default Prices

Well hey, Pegg I'll call 1 or 2 here in state and check em out! Thanks! These nucs though are from an excellent breeder, overwintered and brooding up on the coast. I know the guys quality.

Tom

Yur welcome...

Default Bee prices

None of those ads or any of the others in the ABJ are actually available

a guy in tyler tx is making spilts (my box, top, bottom, and 5 frames) + 5 frames from his hives, new bred queen made around march 5. he holds, treats feeds til around 1 week of april and returns them usually with 6-8 full frames for 65.00 (last several years have been 45.00) these q's are daughters of insiminated queens either mh or russian... however, he already has his quota filled.

None of those ads or any of the others in the ABJ are actually available
    Tom,

Many of those adds have been running since Oct 08. You would think that if they got filled they would remove them. There were also similar ones in the latest bee culture mag also (Feb). Hey wait a minute...weren't you selling 200 or so hives back in the fall?? Throw them on the truck with my hives returning after almonds and I'll give you 60 bucks per. And don't be sending any weird insects back with um...we want to keep Colorado pure.
    Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid. John Wayne

[quote=bleta12;379490]The original post is for overwintered nucs, not 5 frames of bees and a matted queen.
    There is a big difference that should be reflected on price.

[QUOTE=bleta12;392332]
    Quote Originally Posted by bleta12 View Post
    The original post is for overwintered nucs, not 5 frames of bees and a matted queen.
    There is a big difference that should be reflected on price.
    Positively or negatively reflected. I'd rather have a nuc w/ an established young queen.

I hear about people who suspect that queens that are available early in the spring are actually last years queens, which they don't care for. I'd be surprised if this really happens, but it might.

I guess some folks could see an overwintered nuc as something more valuable than a spring produced one. You know it made it through the winter, I guess. So maybe it would again?
    Mark Berninghausen "Ships at a distance have every man's wish on board." Zora Neale Hurston

What is an established young queen?

Quote Originally Posted by bleta12 View Post
    ....not 5 frames of bees and a matted queen..... What is an established young queen?
    You seem to be implying that nucs with spring queens do NOT have established queens. While there may be some who just throw the bees and queen together I think this is a rare thing. It is a much more common practice when building nucs to leave the new queen in the nuc for a long enough time so that she is laying well. We typically figure 3 weeks is about the minimum time, 4 weeks is common. The nuc producer can inspect the queen, and assess her quality, ie, see that she is well accepted, well established.
    Sheri

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast