Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2009 NUC prices

Default 2009 NUC prices

I am over wintering several more NUC's that I will need.

If they all make what is going to be the going price fro a 5 frame NUC?

Paul
    Paul Andersen

Why don't you wait for the spring to really see how many of your nucs make it and then make a decision on price.
    I wish you luck but in nature there is no such thing like 100%, at least constantly.

I personally think that a strong, healthy overwintered nuc is the best configuration in any apiary in the spring. They build up fast and they have already been tested (not all of them will survive the winter), less prone to swarming, less varroa load than the big hives and they will produce honey.
    When considering a good healthy overwintered nuc, the price is really irrelavent.
    What you get is more important than what you pay.
    You are not really paying for what you are getting but for what you expect that what you are getting becomes.

Gilman

Quote Originally Posted by paulka View Post

Paul
    Last edited by bleta12; 01-02-2009 at 12:44 PM.

Due to the recession and all, I'd say $10.00. (I'm not selling any, but I might be buying some)

Quote Originally Posted by NeilV View Post
    Due to the recession and all, I'd say $10.00. (I'm not selling any, but I might be buying some)
    I can send you a picture of a nuc for $10.00

I think that when pricing overwintered nucs, one should consider the price of the packages and add whatever they think they nucs are better, which is a lot.

Gilman

Most the folks I know have been quoting $85.00-90.00 w/no frame exchange for nucs, either put in your own equipment or in a cardboard nuc box. I am seeing prices on packages around $120.00, but then I have also seen prices for single story hives in the $100.00 - 120.00 range, so I personally think those package prices are too high. I think a lot of folks set their prices based on continued high fuel and feed costs, fuel costs have eased but feed is still up there pretty good. If it comes down, you could probably count on these prices to fall some as well. If however, as some speculate, we are starting a deflationary period, then they could tumble quite a lot by spring.
    "The UNKNOWN, huh? That would be SNORBERT ZANGOX over in Waycross."

Quote Originally Posted by NeilV View Post
    Id sure like to know where to get nucs for $10?

I wish you all live closer to me tony

Quote Originally Posted by JordanM View Post
    Id sure like to know where to get nucs for $10?

Me 2 !~

"I am seeing prices on packages around $120.00"

Only for Aussie packages. US packages are cheaper. I have yet to understand why anyone would pay that much for a package.
    "I reject your reality, and substitute my own." Adam Savage

Quote Originally Posted by peggjam View Post
    "I am seeing prices on packages around $120.00"

Only for Aussie packages. US packages are cheaper. I have yet to understand why anyone would pay that much for a package.
    For 3 lb packages: B Weaver's 2009 price for Texas pkg bees are $120.00, R Weaver's are at $90.00. Rossman's are considerably less starting at $62.00 and go down to $53.00 with quantities of 100+. Olivarez are priced similarly to Rossman's. Kelley's are at $73.00 - 75.00.

It seems that there is quite a range now that some other folks are posting their 2009 prices.

Quote Originally Posted by Gene Weitzel View Post
    For 3 lb packages: B Weaver's 2009 price for Texas pkg bees are $120.00, R Weaver's are at $90.00. Rossman's are considerably less starting at $62.00 and go down to $53.00 with quantities of 100+. Olivarez are priced similarly to Rossman's. Kelley's are at $73.00 - 75.00.

It seems that there is quite a range now that some other folks are posting their 2009 prices.
    We have a Local Guy that sold 5 Frame Nucs last year for $125.00. May be the same this year too, don't know for sure. If you had the bees, and wanted to make splits, you could buy the Queens, seems like this makes better since to me, than paying $85.00 to $125.00 for Nucs. Everybody has a price.

Last year I got 4 frame Nucs for $75.00 / with frame exchange.

Quote Originally Posted by paulka View Post

Paul

The original post is for overwintered nucs, not 5 frames of bees and a matted queen.
    There is a big difference that should be reflected on price.

Gilman

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Bee View Post
    We have a Local Guy that sold 5 Frame Nucs last year for $125.00. May be the same this year too, don't know for sure. If you had the bees, and wanted to make splits, you could buy the Queens, seems like this makes better since to me, than paying $85.00 to $125.00 for Nucs. Everybody has a price.

Last year I got 4 frame Nucs for $75.00 / with frame exchange.
    A lot also depends on the quantity you purchase, I bought 20+ five frame nucs last spring and averaged about $50.00 each. I went into the winter with about 100 hives so this spring I should be in a good position to buy/raise queens and make up my own nucs. I may even consider selling a few depending on my winter losses.

...$50.00 sounds real good. I like Cordovan's...

Default nucs

The going rate is about $75 with no frame exchange.100 nucs or more of course.

Quote Originally Posted by high rate of speed View Post
    The going rate
    HHmmmm

Gotta love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gene Weitzel View Post
    A lot also depends on the quantity you purchase, I bought 20+ five frame nucs last spring and averaged about $50.00 each. I went into the winter with about 100 hives so this spring I should be in a good position to buy/raise queens and make up my own nucs. I may even consider selling a few depending on my winter losses.

What are you getting for $50 is not overwintered nucs, someone is splitting bees after almond pollination and putting a matted queen in the mix and selling it for a nuc.
    You are getting what you are paying, $50 worth of bees, good luck, you are probably getting more that what you know you are getting, good deal.

Quote Originally Posted by bleta12 View Post
    What are you getting for $50 is not overwintered nucs, someone is splitting bees after almond pollination and putting a matted queen in the mix and selling it for a nuc.
    You are getting what you are paying, $50 worth of bees, good luck, you are probably getting more that what you know you are getting, good deal.
    Hardly, none of the folks I am buying bees from go into the Almonds. These are nucs that are made up from strong overwintered hives. In the south, things get going much earlier so the nucs get an early start. I pick them up in April after the queen has been laying for about a month. They are ready to go into a single deep at that time. Almost all of the nucs I bought last year made a couple of supers by the middle of July.

mr weitzel writes:
    or 3 lb packages: B Weaver's 2009 price for Texas pkg bees are $120.00, R Weaver's are at $90.00. Rossman's are considerably less starting at $62.00 and go down to $53.00 with quantities of 100+. Olivarez are priced similarly to Rossman's. Kelley's are at $73.00 - 75.00.

tecumseh:
    the price of almond pollination plus increased death loss and expenses are driving much of these price increases. when folks (who have been in the business a long time) know they can make x buck in the almonds, or bees are needed to make up their own winter losses then this quickly gets translated into a dollar figure for packages.

there is a wide range in package prices. I would suggest that for most folks they will get what they pay for.

ps... problably not the best place for this comment (hopefully barry will not throw me under the bus)... but I will have a limited number of nucs pretty much at the same price I sold them for last year. various size of nucs, various queen choices. all prices and terms negotiable.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast