Thread: Cold

Default Cold

Holly crap, this cold isnt letting up!
    It got up to -20 degrees C and I thought it was a nice mild day!
    Wind has picked up and we are back into the high -30's windchill again. I am getting tierd of -30 degreeC weather! More snow is comming , Blizards are becoming a common thing here,...

At least my bees are nice and tight and inside at 2 degreesC. So nice and peacefull inside that wintering shed, makes all the work worth it,
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Default Good for warm bees

Glad to hear your bees are wintering well; sounds like it is worth the effort on the shed. Best of luck as winter progresses.
    Last edited by gingerbee; 01-07-2009 at 03:59 PM. Reason: spelling
    Try to learn something new every day and give thanks for all your blessings.

dont you live in CANADA?
    "Wine is a constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy" Ben Franklin

Thats global warming .... don't cha know

Oh boy, It's so stinking cold here too. Not alot of snow, not like you have Ian, but the brutal cold. I'm worried the bees might not make it if it does not let up. But then again I worry over anything and everything.

We just got though two snow storms this week. It is the 7th of Jan and already we are 20% over the norm for snowfall..which will be good in the spring but right now it's getting old. Had sub zero temps most of the week except during the day when it got to a balmy 9. Supposed to get in the 20's and maybe 30's next week...wow...summer come early. I find that if the sun is shinning and it is above 35 my home kept bees are out and flying around...good old tough carnis!!
    Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne

YIKES!!

I live in the balmy south and the weather forecast for next week looks downright scary. You folks better throw another log on the fire
    I hope they're wrong

Dave

yesterday 60 degrees and sunny. looks like more of the same today.

it is kind of boring not having to dodge the frost bite.

We got almost a foot of snow last night, snowing so hard right now I can't see the headlites on my truck running in the driveway. Another day in heaven? We have only had about 5 feet this year so far. Tony

I am sooooo ready for Spring. Cold here today as well..daytime temps in low 30's but overnight temps hovering around zero...but...I feel nice an warm compared to you boys up north, so i'll quit whining now.
    "I reject your reality, and substitute my own." Adam Savage

Smile

I was going to tell you it was 78* today and will be a cold 50*tonight here in East Texas but I won't.You have to be like the geese head south!!!

>>Not alot of snow, not like you have Ian

Ya, we have a good two feet of snow already!
    Going to be a wet spring, we had a wet fall,

Well, I guess wet is better than dry. I hear of alot of places in the food producing world that would like this moisture
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Hubby is still hauling hay. Says there is 2 feet on the fields and about 14" in the sheltered bee yards. We had so much water as well. Unclear how much snow will cause over land flooding. I guess it all depends on how much moisture in the ground evaporates from freezing.

tired of the dang wind chill as well

Default -2 degrees

it was 2 below here the other nite, had left some honey in the truck, does this make it two-below -honey?

>>Hubby is still hauling hay. Says there is 2 feet on the fields

that makes the job hard,
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Quote Originally Posted by bees1st View Post
    two-below -honey?
    You mean tubelo honey?
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

Hey I want to thank all you folks that are basking in the warm parts of the North American continent for rubbing our noses in how warm and cozy you all are. But I still wouldn’t want to live anywhere else but in the frozen sun set coast of Michigan. Even though I read that we set a snowfall record in 2008. And so far it’s been one winter storm after another. On a good note between snow storms I got a chance to check on how many dead hives I have and the results are good less than 5%. If I come threw the winter of 2009 as well as I did 2008 I will be a happy camper.
    The Busy Bee teaches two lessons: One is not to be idle and the other is not to get stung.