Default For ice-bound northerners

I'm getting sick of slippin' and slidin' on the ice covered hills around here. I'm looking for recommendations for inexpensive (less than $50/pr) slip over the boot ice traction thingies (not crampons), but more like StABILizers or something similar, with replaceable points.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for a pair of durable ice traction thingies (what are they called - cleats?). Thanks!

MM

I walk about 8-10 miles per day, I'm a meter reader for a utility company. I walk thru snow , Ice, sleet whatever over all terains. The best footware I have found so far are called NEOs they are an overshoe that uses velcro and straps to attach. they are waterproof and are fairly comfortable for wearing 8 hrs. they use a stablicer sole with replaceable studs and are lighter weight than standard stabilicers. they are a bit more expensive than you mentioned but are worth the money.

Default non slip

We have ice every year and I have livestock to feed.If you have a pair of insulated boots with a lug sole,just take some heck head screws and screw them into the lugs.It dosen!t take over 8 or 10 on each boot.Elderly farm neighbor told me this,(he!s gone now)I didn!t think it would work,boy was I wrong those heck heads dig in..Jack
    P.S.boots don!t have to be insulated.

Quote Originally Posted by brooksbeefarm View Post
    We have ice every year and I have livestock to feed.If you have a pair of insulated boots with a lug sole,just take some heck head screws and screw them into the lugs.It dosen!t take over 8 or 10 on each boot.Elderly farm neighbor told me this,(he!s gone now)I didn!t think it would work,boy was I wrong those heck heads dig in..Jack
    P.S.boots don!t have to be insulated.
    Man, that is a great idea! Sort of like the stud tires back when we could use them. Do you mean hex-head? - what size you use? Yes, I have livestock to feed too, and I've slipped way too often, and I don't want to die by whacking my head on the concrete barn floor!

MM

Quote Originally Posted by phil c View Post
    I walk about 8-10 miles per day, I'm a meter reader for a utility company. I walk thru snow , Ice, sleet whatever over all terains. The best footware I have found so far are called NEOs they are an overshoe that uses velcro and straps to attach. they are waterproof and are fairly comfortable for wearing 8 hrs. they use a stablicer sole with replaceable studs and are lighter weight than standard stabilicers. they are a bit more expensive than you mentioned but are worth the money.
    I found those online - they aren't too far out of my price range ($80), and they are waterproof to boot (no pun intended). Thanks-

MM

Default none slip boots

I!m sorry i should have explained better.I used 3/8in. hecks head metal screws about 1/2 two 3/4in.long just so they don!t go through the sole to the bottom of your foot.The only drawback I!ve found is you have to take your boots off before you go in the house.their hard on hardwood floors.Jack