Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What's Up at EAS?

I just received notice that EAS has cancelled speakers, Dee Lusby, Erik Osterlund, and myself. They claim not to have any money for speaker support. Afraid of the recession. Hmmm.

given that the theme is supposed to be keeping bees without chemicals, one wonders how many speakers they will have that actually have experience keeping bees without chemicals (post mite) vs. how many are "experts" on the topic of keeping bees without chemicals.

deknow

After all ,the venue is a resort.I can't afford to stay there.

I would have enjoyed meeting Dee and Erik but I also can see the cost involved.

Some of us are camping.
    http://www.reserveamerica.com/campin...e=NY&parkId=31

I hope this does'nt keep you from attending.

Jack, you are in luck.

We also decided that we wanted to hear these speakers, so we invited them, are flying them in to Massachusetts, and paying them to speak (after all, taking time off from beekeeping in July/August certainly costs the beekeeper something...not to mention travel, food, and lodging). We feel it's important for such a conference to be "sustainable" (that it's not a huge cost for the speakers to be there).

After all, it's the speakers that would otherwise be busiest that are the most valuable to have speak.

Details are in the "meetings" forum, or on our website:
    http://BeeUntoOthers.com/

deknow

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Palmer View Post
    I just received notice that EAS has cancelled speakers, Dee Lusby, Erik Osterlund, and myself. They claim not to have any money for speaker support. Afraid of the recession. Hmmm.
    But you'll probably still be there, won't you Mike? Since it's in NY I'm going to make an effort to be there too.
    Mark Berninghausen To combat Ebola, please consider supporting http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org

I won't be able to make it this year. I'm really busy at that time of year. Just finishing up my queen rearing/nuc making for the year. Not that I wouldn't love to go, and spend countless hours talking bees. But, I don't really take vacations at that time of year. Now, If I had something to do there...some service to the beekeeping community like a workshop, or seminar talking, then I'd make the time.

I e-mailed Joseph K. Are you going to have queens to sell? When do you predict having them available?
    Mark Berninghausen To combat Ebola, please consider supporting http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    I e-mailed Joseph K. Are you going to have queens to sell? When do you predict having them available?
    June 15-August 15

Dean
    I had hoped that the tentative dates on your website were wrong.I'm heading to W.NY on Sat am.

Mike
    Our loss.

Well, there goes the reason I wanted to attend.
    WayaCoyote

...there now appears to be a brochure detailing some of the speakers:
    http://www.easternapiculture.org/pro...09Brochure.pdf

...from my limited knowledge, it looks like kirk webster is the only speaker that actually keeps bees without chemicals...in a conference that is titled:
    "towards nonchemical beekeeping".

deknow

Adam Finklestein is on the list. Bob Brachman, a Russian queen producer is on the list. Tom Rinderer is on the list.

AFAIK, each has some considerable experience with "nonchemical beekeeping" and an open mind.

It looks like a good balanced program. There will also, I am sure, be many there with experience on the topic, and any who have something to offer can contribute during sessions and in the yards.

I'm actually thinking I will attend this year. EAS is never cheap, and the timeing is bad for many commercial operators, but I must say my last EAS, in Maine, was a worthwhile investment.

In previous years they had poor publicity on their website, making it hard for those on a budget or unfamiliar with EAS to visualise the event, but hopefully things are improving. They are very responsive to requests for information by email, BTW.

Quote Originally Posted by allend View Post
    Adam Finklestein is on the list. Bob Brachman, a Russian queen producer is on the list. Tom Rinderer is on the list.
    apologies if i've missed anyone. i've had some limited correspondence with some of those you name. i won't presume to know what their practices are or are not....some of them are on this list, and an actual correction of an error is always welcome. as i said in my comment, my knowledge of what each individual beekeeper does or does not do is limited.

it is worth noting that it is common for beekeepers to want to be seen as "natural" (as it is part of the reputation/mythology of honey). in face to face conversations with other beekeepers, "i don't treat" often morphs into, "well, i treat the hives with high mite loads" and/or "well, you have to feed with fumidill or your bees will die" and often "oh, formic acid occurs naturally in honey, and therefore i don't see it as a chemical" ...and likewise with essential oils.

other beekeepers have been known to give talks on "keeping bees without chemicals" where, when describing what they will be talking about, say terramicyn should be fed in the spring and the fall.

the above examples are to point out that "chemical free" is used by many in the beekeeping world as something other than "free of chemical use".

AFAIK, each has some considerable experience with "nonchemical beekeeping" and an open mind.
    well, i think it's pretty well established that the beekeeping industry as a whole has become overly dependent on chemical treatments.

if one is part of a community that is overly dependent on alcohol (and it causes problems), and in that context, one runs a workshop on "how to live your life without alcohol"...does a speaker that only drinks under stress have "considerable experience with living without alcohol"? perhaps in a sense...and this is probably better than drinking everyday. but if one wants to hear from someone who actually has "considerable experience with living without alcohol", one is looking for someone that no longer drinks, even under stress.

my point is that, as long as the "fallback" position is to use treatments, one is not really gaining "considerable experience with nonchemical beekeeping"...they are gaining experience of using less chemicals...they are gaining experience of only using chemicals once every X years instead of every year...they are gaining experience in using chemicals to combat problems rather than to prevent them....but this is an entirely different thing entirely, just as a problem alcoholic that drinks under stress is a different person than a problem alcoholic that simply doesn't drink.

deknow

Tom Rinderer http://www.ars.usda.gov/pandp/people...?personid=4720 is the man behind the Primorsky project and has very widespread experience and very impressive credentials. Researchers in his lab have a lot of experience in keeping bees with and without chemicals and breeding bees that do not require treatments.

Bob Brachman http://russianbreeder.org/members.htm is a Russian queen producer as stated. He has been around a long time and if you wish, I believe you can read his trials and tribulations with foregoing treatments at least a decade back in the BEE-L archives.

Adam Finklestein http://www.vpqueenbees.com/ was the founder of sci.agriculture.beekeeping. According to recent post on this site, he claims multiple degrees, plus a decade or so of raising and selling queens from stock that has not required treatment and which also perform in commercial use.

How much does it cost to attend the conference etc...?

How much does it cost to attend the conference etc...?
    http://www.easternapiculture.org/programs/2009/ is the home page.

I really do not know why, but they never do give out the information that people obviously need to know. I was after them years back, and assumed that by now they would have reformed, especially as they have issues with profitability due to attendance and membership lagging! Looking at the site, nothing has improved in five years!

Here is the explanation I got years ago: EAS is an organisation, not just an event and members get advance registration forms, etc. with the newsletter. (I assume that members therefore never misplace the info and need to look things up on the web).

The long and short of it is that EAS organisers are inward-looking and don't realize how many people who are initially interested get discouraged and feel rejected, then give up when they visit the site and cannot find basic information they need. From an outsiders perspective, EAS looks somewhat exclusive and unwelcoming.

The actual event is the opposite of the impression we get from the site. It is very welcoming and inclusive and a chance to meet the names you read in studies, magazines and books face to face.

The website notwithstanding, the EAS people are really nice people and if you write or phone them from the contact page (above link) they will lean over backwards to inform, assist and accommodate.

seems they would try

OK. I'd appreciate if those on this thread who have a few moments -- especially those who have never been to EAS and who don't know much about it -- would take the time to visit http://www.easternapiculture.org and spend a few minutes, then come back and say if they are any wiser than when they first got to the site, or if they are confused -- and why.

I'll explain later.

what is the cost?
    Last edited by Bizzybee; 02-20-2009 at 07:43 PM. Reason: Excessive quote

Quote Originally Posted by deknow View Post

...from my limited knowledge,
    deknow
    Well Dean,Why don't you and Ramona attend this year and meet some of the people.

EAS is a "big tent" event.One can't judge anothers beekeeping knowledge by screening out those who treat.I don't see any benefit to an "us vs them" approach.The idea of "Towards Nonchemical Beekeeping" is an ideal all beeks embrace,whether or not they presently treat.

The biggest draw for me is the face to face contact with the people who do the research,publish in bee mags and scientific journals,and are leaders in their profession.Most are there for the whole 5 days.And you'll see them in the clasroom and labs,at the breakfast and lunch tables,share a beverage at a social,or just hang out on the back steps.
    Many will share thoughts in private that they can't publicly.

As for the cost:
    This usually isn't determined until the spring but can be broken down into categories.
    Membership in EAS (required)
    Short course (Mon,Tue,Wed)
    Conference (Wed,Thur,Fri)
    Special events(this year a BBQ hosted by Andy Card,Merrimac Valley Apiaries)
    Fri night banquet
    Meals(This year at a resort so meals will be on your own in resort or nearby restaurants.When the conference is at a university the meals are in dining halls)
    Accommodations on campus or resort.

Most mix and match.I usually camp.Allegany State park---9 nights---$138--split 2 ways--$69.Will make most of my own meals.Last year because of the heat I stayed in a hotel--$50 per night,same as a dorm room on campus.This year i'm sure the resort rooms will be more than that.

I went back a few years and these were my checks.
    04----$340---short course and conference
    06----$541---short course,conference, special events,meals--2 people
    07----$383---short course,conference, special events,meals
    08--pd by charge card but seem to remember about $350 for short course,conference,special events and meals

Note: I'm a life member so pay no dues.

Kim ,Kathy and Jim are real people.Give them a call with your questions.

Jack

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast