Thread: Lucky hives!

Default Lucky hives!

We just went through a killer ice storm here in MA. Just got internet back. Lost one of my old apples which the hives sat in front of. Fortunately, the tree fell right beside the hives and didn't damage anything at all. Here are a couple of pic's:

and...

Our house was not so lucky although we didn't get hurt as much as others around us. A very old Silver Maple on the side of our home lost it's two major limbs, one of which came down against the house. Took all day Friday to get the fallen limbs removed. The rest of the maple that's still standing will have to come down now. I haven't even touched the fallen apple. There's more out back that's down as well.

I am grateful though. The bees are fine. We only lost power briefly (compared to some who will be out for days). The house damage is repairable (some antique windows, sashes, shutters, etc. A corner of the roof cracked down to the rafter tail, some damage to the gazebo and trim, some wiring damage and a blown out cellar window) and, most important, no one was hurt. In fact, we're hosting friends from all over town that are less fortunate than we are. They're here to keep warm, get a good meal and clean up. In a strange way, I caught the Christmas spirit because of a storm!
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

carnage looks bad......I bet the tree guys are busy there.

Hey those hive stands look nice, you make em'? Are they Trex fake wood?

Yup, the tree guys are busy. Very busy. I made the hive stands. They're pressure treated wood...4X4's for the legs, 1X6 rims and I made removable shelves out of baluster stock. I put the shelf in the center when I only have two hives and take it out if I want three on a stand. The shelf can hold stuff while I work on the hives but is open between the slats to let snow and rain go through. Two coats of stain after they're built and I'm done. I have some single hive stands that I made as well.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"