Default CD Burning Software

I'm trying to copy some CDs for my niece for Christmas. I used to do this at work (Don't tell) using Roxio (can't recall what program/version), and it was incredibly simple. Now I am trying it at home, using Roxio Creator DE.

Long story short, when I follow the instructions to "create an audio CD that will play on any CD player" I end up with one that will only play on the PC.

Had another disk for Creator LE 2009, installed that, got same results. Any advice?
    “The keeping of bees is like the direction of sunbeams.” -Henry David Thoreau

Not all CD players will play burned cd's.

Great...in the olden days we had book burning parties. Now we have CD burning software???? What is this world coming to??

Oh..maybe I should have read through the whole post first...

Windows Media Player will compile audio cd's to play in cd players. It's true that some of the old players were specific to a single format. They have grown quite a bit over the years. If what you want to use the cd in is fairly new it may support the mp3 format. If that's the case you only need to copy the mp3 files onto the disk. In most if not all cases though, the disk has to be closed after copying the files over. That means that you can't write to the disk anymore when you're finished.

I haven't used Roxio in a very long time and have no idea what it can do these days? I have been using Infrarecorder for quite a while since it was the only one for a while that supported 64bit systems. But even at that I don't use cd's for music. My players in the cars use flash drives and play mp3's.
    "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." Winston Churchill

My CD player is a Sony, over 10 years old. It did play the ones I copied at work, though.

The ones I just copied (that will not play) have .cda files on them. Maybe I need to try to close the disc, if that can be done after the fact.

Did you burn it onto a CDR or a CDRW?

Many CD players won't read the RW
    The bees know!
    AKA Wormtounge

I tried both CD-R and CD-RW. Both play on PC, neither work on home player.

With the roxio program I have, You have to "finalize" the disc before it will play on most players, but newer versions may be different. That computer is still running windows 98 and I only use it for music

are you doing a disc to disc copy? if you are copying, then they should be good to go. If you are just burning songs to a dvd or cd, then you have a different matter. The best copying software, from disc to disc, is DVDclone or CDclone, that I've tried.
    “When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.” – John Muir

I made some DVD's & the -R disks & +R disks played on different machines.
    The ones that worked on most machines where the +R.

This might be a little off topic.
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Putz View Post
    are you doing a disc to disc copy?
    I am doing a disc to disc copy. And the program finalized audio discs automatically. That is why this is such a mystery. I've never had problems before, but never used this machine or "Creator 2009" before, either.

Some brands of CDs work better with some devices than others.
    I have had better luck with the cheepo Staples blank CDs. They seem to work better than the more expensive Sony and Memorex.

If you use a Gnu/Linux system instead of a Windows system, CD burning is much easier.

-BoB

Go here and check out their software...
    http://www.slysoft.com/en/

great for copying discs
    “When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.” – John Muir