Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default The 170 Club

You can sure spend a lot of money$$ growing that 4 bale cotton

if you know what I mean

Default Confirmation

Call uh, what's his name...Bread Abee...he will confirm the deal!

Now that we are on the same level playing field.THANKS. for all the chit chat about high prices and all the pms I recieved about the price of bees for almonds.The slower the better nobody nows the end result lets keep it that way.Oh ya keith see you at the shop,a huge turnout is expected.

Hey louie,
    bring your spatula to,plenty of bbq going on.

LIke I said before this Came right from the California Almond Board Meeting with quite a few beekeepers there not as many as I thought would be though. But with the prediction of 0% water allotment in feb and then only 15% there after there is going to be some almond orchards left out of the loop. And Growers with the below 1.50lb price for almonds and the high water prices and the expectations of 0-15% of the water allocated they are fighting the 150.00 price that was quoted by the Apiculturist for Ca. I forget his name. But he was the one speaking on this issue. And many of the Almond growers is balking at the 150.00 price. From a few people I talked with at the Meeting growers and keepers. 135 was the low with 150max pricing was out there. They are predicting that there will be plenty of bees available this year. As it was this time last year when CCD reared its ugly head. And so far the word has been good. People are getting a handel on things. But there is still another month and a half for things to go south. On my way home I passed a big simi going south on the 99 in Merced County. The Truck cab was blue. I dont remember the name on the cab. We are supposed to have rain from Sat afternoon through Wed next week. We shall see. Then after that we are supposed to see frosts with snow levels down to 1500 feet to 2000 feet. That will help but not in the long term picture or outlook. Things are looking bleek. They said that those that dont have contracts yet to go out and get those contracts signed. As you never know what grower will drop out with the picture that is out there now. The one good thing is fuel prices are down. But that is going to take a while to bring other things down. I am trying to rack my brain and think of the other things that I may have forgotten and the other news. But my mind is blank and I dont want to repete to much.

Angi
    Angi of HHH Farms Hanford Ca
    Organic Farm & heritage, rare breed poultry, ducks, quail

Thanks Angi for all the great info. Wow...frost in the forecast. My bees are on vacation in Calf and the ones that didn't make the cut can expect -1 to -11 with wind chill next week. Guess they won't be so slack building up next year.
    Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid. John Wayne

Burrr you can have the -1-11 degree temps. That makes my back muscles spasum thinking of that cold. If only this fog would lift here. And now rain for the next 5 days Yuck. BUt then again if you look at it like they had said at the almond board the last 4 years we have har record crops. And the last 4 years we have had good winter temps. The last 3 years I have had Heirloom tomatoes after thanksgiving with a few frosty nights but not to bad. And then there is this year. I had heirloom tomatoes till Wed morning we had our first frost. This is the latest frost yet. There might be another year of record crops for Almonds. BUt like they also said during the meeting is it takes the right temps at the right times for the bees to fly to get the best crop out there. Bloom this year was 3 weeks late for the early almonds yet temps were fantastic at the right times the last 4 years to have record crops. All it would take is some freak freeze or frost at the wrong time to get a less then Avg year for the almonds and then prices for the growers could go back up again. Or it could be like a few years ago when it was Feb - April we had all our rain in those months and crops were only half of what they should have been. They said it takes the Almond blooms to be at 55 degrees before it will reliease its pollen. And it takes the bees around then to go out and collect pollen. So if those temps are off any it could mess everything up. Yes the last 4 years have been record crops with temps falling just at the right time. But things change and you never know when they will. It is all a waiting game.

Any Hoo
    Have a happy holidays
    Angi

See, this is why you need our Colorado bees. Mine were out every day once it broke over 40 degrees with sunshine. Heck 55 is almost like the middle of summer temps. Just gotta train those almond trees to release their pollen when its colder and all will be fine.

Hey my survivor and ferral stock has been out flying in the afternoons even if it is still a little foggy. And I had missed one hive putting on the entrance ruducer and when I went out last night after I got back from the almond board meeting I saw a mouse in the bottom of f the hive when I put the flash light down there. I had one of the reducers in my hand and I knocked on the hive and the bees started marching down the frames and attacked the mouse and it took off like a rocket as they came down and attacked it lol I was rotflmao. I put the reducer on when it left. I wish you could train almond trees. But the only way they would do that would be to make them a GMO Crop more then they are now and we dont need that and our bees dont need that either.

Angi

Default Big money vs.honeybee existence

Have you heard that Aussie bees are not allowed to be shipped to the US until further notice?This will hurt the migratory beekeepers who make their living through pollination.What got my attention was either our government,Aussie gov.or the migratory beekeepers are trying to get a permit to allow a temporary quarantine process?They know these bees have varroa mites,apis cernia,and other unknown viruses,and for the sake of a few people making big money they are willing to risk making the honey bee survival harder in the US of A?Why can!t our gov.help the honey bee industry solve our own honey bee problems(afb,mites,viruses)so we can have our own healthy bees fore pollination.Politicians think they!ve got problems with all the bailouts,wait till people start going hungry(I pray not)because hungry people are dangerous people,and with all the job loss it can happen.I don!t blame the migratory beekeepers they keep food on the table and are trying to make a living,I blame the gov. for thinking about giving temporary quarantine permits and not solving our problems.If they don!t know what they!ve got(aussie bees) how do they know they can keep it from spreading by keeping it quarantined.(bees confined to a certain area)?It looks like to me the gov.is about to give us beekeepers something else to cope with as if we don!t have enough problems.Maybe i!m being pessimistic but I see trouble on the horizon.Jack

Default Big Money

The big dough is not in the pollinators. Big money is the almond industry one of our few export commodities of significance any more. But there are enough US bees apparently so the rationale for allowing them in would appear to be to lower costs somehow.

Here is a little background on the Aussie export procedure.
    http://bee-quick.com/reprints/beepocalypse.pdf
    NOT real confidence inspiring.

Default Thanks Mike

No it's not is it.

Ranks right up there with the "certifying" agencies that certify USDA Organic on stuff in foreign counties.

Default Aussie packs

Just received emails from two Aussie suppliers that said they could fill a package order if needed. Keep in mind I never asked in the email if the bees were not being let in th U.S. I just asked if they could still fill orders. ANSWER: yes

That is only because they are being told that there might be a possability with them getting a special permit with a quarenteen process. You better believe it they are not going to say no till they hear more info later in the month. They dont want to loose any business till they get told for absolute sure that it is a no go. You better beliveve it they are gonna still tell you yes. TIll they get told no.

Angi

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12