Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

No Aussie Bees For 09?

15K views 49 replies 25 participants last post by  KQ6AR 
#1 ·
Is it true they have stopped the imports of aussie bees due to a new pest they found? That should have an impact on available bees for almonds if its true.
Also hearing horror stories of large amounts of bees crashing already.
Anybody got any facts?

#42 ·
Nah, the other way around. All your bee will die off every year, and we'll have the replacement nucs waiting for you in the spring. The country of California will gladly import replacement stock from the country of New England, because we don't have anything that you don't. Of course, New England will ban imports from California, because CA has Tropilaelaps, and NE doesn't. :)

#44 ·
It does seem funny to be joking about a mite that may never get here.
I guess that sooner or later, it will get here. Everything else has. Hopefully later, which is what this is all about. And I don't know what else to do about it other that at least make a joke once in awhile. I've written my grongressmen. I have a ongoing dialog with the administrative assistant to my Rep in the US House...which started 2 years ago after I was taped for VPR. So kidding or not, I do realize that it's no joke.

#49 ·
Like said above I will add some, dont think anyone (government) cares about beekeepers like they do almonds, a lot more money in almonds than bee's, they don't care what bee's or insects pollinate the almonds as long as the yield is good, money talks in this country, big business has run this country for years and still does, its who can buy the votes, they dont care about long range futures unless it their own pockets, enough said its going off topic, we will just have to deal with what happens :doh:

#50 ·
Here's an email I got this morning.

Subject: CATCH THE BUZZ Oz Imports to continue, it seems
X-Ezezine: (1636.15745.3099)

This ezine is also available online at http://home.ezezine.com/1636/1636-2008.12.24.14.48.archive.html

CATCH THE BUZZ

Imports From Australia To Continue...

This came across my keyboard earlier today. Due to the Holiday I have not been able to confirm it, nor am I certain of the conditions that were agreed upon. However, quarantines around those areas where Apis cerana have been discovered were discussed, security at the origianl port of entry and at additional ports were checked, samples were examined for exotic diseases and pests with none found (or none in European bees anyway), and determination of the extent of the original infestation and its spread made and found to be marginal. But, as I said, I haven't been able to confrim all of these conditions yet. I imagine we will have all the details shortly after the Holiday.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On Tue, Dec 23, 2008 at 11:42 AM, <Janel.L.Barsi@aphis.usda.gov> wrote:

Thank you for contacting the U.S. Department of Agriculture's Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS) with your concerns about honeybee imports from Australia. APHIS has decided that based on the information provided by Australia, we will continue to allow imports of honeybees under the revised export certification conditions that were agreed to by APHIS and the Australian Embassy earlier this month.

Please contact me if you have any further questions.

Janel Barsi

Plant Health Programs

Plant Protection and Quarantine

Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This message brought to you

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.