Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by MABee View Post
    Lets hope the big shots at the USDA care about the health of our American bees!
    you are kidding??
    "Life without God is like an unsharpened pencil - it has no point."

Quote Originally Posted by loggermike View Post
    So.... varroa problem solved Except those of us whose bees never really go broodless will keep them alive, to deliver to you the following spring
    Nah, the other way around. All your bee will die off every year, and we'll have the replacement nucs waiting for you in the spring. The country of California will gladly import replacement stock from the country of New England, because we don't have anything that you don't. Of course, New England will ban imports from California, because CA has Tropilaelaps, and NE doesn't. :-)

It does seem funny to be joking about a mite that may never get here. But I can recall that most didn't worry about varroa and tracheal mites either,until they were on the doorstep.
    I guess if it gets here, I will go to Plan B.

Quote Originally Posted by loggermike View Post
    It does seem funny to be joking about a mite that may never get here.
    I guess that sooner or later, it will get here. Everything else has. Hopefully later, which is what this is all about. And I don't know what else to do about it other that at least make a joke once in awhile. I've written my grongressmen. I have a ongoing dialog with the administrative assistant to my Rep in the US House...which started 2 years ago after I was taped for VPR. So kidding or not, I do realize that it's no joke.

Quote Originally Posted by MABee View Post
    Lets hope the big shots at the USDA care about the health of our American bees!
    >>you are kidding??<<

I'm sure they do. The question really is, do they care about the almond growers more than the bees. What do you think the Apple, blueberry, curbit, alfalfa seed, and other growers think about all this? Would they block Australian bees if they knew the policy just might limit their access pollinators in the future?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Palmer View Post
    >>you are kidding??<<

I'm sure they do. The question really is, do they care about the almond growers more than the bees. What do you think the Apple, blueberry, curbit, alfalfa seed, and other growers think about all this? Would they block Australian bees if they knew the policy just might limit their access pollinators in the future?
    So maybe someone should "put a bee" in their collective bonnets. No reason we should have to fight this battle alone.
    "The UNKNOWN, huh? That would be SNORBERT ZANGOX over in Waycross."

Quote Originally Posted by Gene Weitzel View Post
    So maybe someone should "put a bee" in their collective bonnets. No reason we should have to fight this battle alone.
    OK then. Where do WE go from here? I have some orchards I can call. Small compared to the Almonds. Someone want to write a letter? Someone want to come up with a list of US growers of...I guess the Almonds don't want to hear it. Or the seedless mandarins, either.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Palmer View Post
    OK then. Where do WE go from here? I have some orchards I can call. Small compared to the Almonds. Someone want to write a letter? Someone want to come up with a list of US growers of...I guess the Almonds don't want to hear it. Or the seedless mandarins, either.
    North American Blueberry Council - http://www.nabcblues.org/index.html

US Apple Association - http://www.usapple.org/index.cfm

North American Alfalfa Improvement Council - http://www.naaic.org/

I could not find a North America based cucurbit growers group. The UK has a Cucumber Growers Association, but I don't know if such an animal exists here.
    "The UNKNOWN, huh? That would be SNORBERT ZANGOX over in Waycross."

Like said above I will add some, dont think anyone (government) cares about beekeepers like they do almonds, a lot more money in almonds than bee's, they don't care what bee's or insects pollinate the almonds as long as the yield is good, money talks in this country, big business has run this country for years and still does, its who can buy the votes, they dont care about long range futures unless it their own pockets, enough said its going off topic, we will just have to deal with what happens
    Ted

Here's an email I got this morning.

Subject: CATCH THE BUZZ Oz Imports to continue, it seems
    X-Ezezine: (1636.15745.3099)

This ezine is also available online at http://home.ezezine.com/1636/1636-20...8.archive.html

CATCH THE BUZZ

Imports From Australia To Continue...

This came across my keyboard earlier today. Due to the Holiday I have not been able to confirm it, nor am I certain of the conditions that were agreed upon. However, quarantines around those areas where Apis cerana have been discovered were discussed, security at the origianl port of entry and at additional ports were checked, samples were examined for exotic diseases and pests with none found (or none in European bees anyway), and determination of the extent of the original infestation and its spread made and found to be marginal. But, as I said, I haven't been able to confrim all of these conditions yet. I imagine we will have all the details shortly after the Holiday.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    On Tue, Dec 23, 2008 at 11:42 AM, <Janel.L.Barsi@aphis.usda.gov> wrote:

Thank you for contacting the U.S. Department of Agriculture's Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS) with your concerns about honeybee imports from Australia. APHIS has decided that based on the information provided by Australia, we will continue to allow imports of honeybees under the revised export certification conditions that were agreed to by APHIS and the Australian Embassy earlier this month.

Please contact me if you have any further questions.

Janel Barsi

Plant Health Programs

Plant Protection and Quarantine

Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This message brought to you
    Dan

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123