Default TV Recommendation

I am looking into getting a new HDTV. With the price drops it look like a good time to buy one. I know almost zilch about tv's. Hoping yall could help me out on the type to get. DLP, Plasma, LCD, ect...
    Chuck Norris has a grizzly bear carpet in his room. The bear isn't dead it is just afraid to move.

I have two plasmas. I had our neighbor's LCD in my downstairs for two weeks so I could do LCD and plasma side by side.

LCD tv - much, much lighter. Better "blacks" in my experience. Less heat from it (the plasma is a radiator).

Plasma - better color tones than the LCD, wider viewing angle (dead center on the LCD is sweet, off center and above/below results in a drop in color intensity in my experience). They are HEAVY. At least mine are.

DLP - I replaced the bulb for a friend in his DLP and was pleased with the picture but not so much I'd trade in the plasma for it. Plus the bulb life issue (this one was less than a year and a half old) left me wondering if the thing was no better than my front porch light.

I bought my plasmas at clearance sales. I've been happy with them, but your own tastes may vary. The downstairs plasma I set out to buy an LCD but got a larger plasma with more features for less, so I can't argue. Why'd I set out to get an LCD? Cost. It was for the games & such and cheaper was better.

That's my opinions. Others will weigh in with their own, perhaps counter to my own. In the end you decide.
    http://www.voiceofthehive.com - Tales of Beekeeping and Honeybees

Thanks xC0000005!

I went to best buy last week and they all look the same to me in the stores. I was hoping to get some maint. info and personal thoughts here. The store salesman just tell you what you want to here. So to say.
    Chuck Norris has a grizzly bear carpet in his room. The bear isn't dead it is just afraid to move.

About four years ago I bought a 62" Mitsubishi LCD HDTV. As long as I watch HD it is picture perfect, it's great. Watching DVD are nice too, but watching any channel that is not HD is grainy, the picture on a conventional TV is superior. From 20 foot away I hardly notice it anymore.

Perhaps with the change over that problem will be solved?

I had to change the bulb after about three and a half years. Ordered it off line and installed it myself for about $150.
    Bullseye Bill in The Scenic Flint Hills , KS
    www.myspace.com/dukewilliam

We have a Hitachi 50" plasma. Love it. Good clear picture on HD or regular.
    So many weeds.......so little time.

We have a 40" Samsung LCD and it works good. If you have a bright room it is a good choice because there is less glare. I can watch it from the side (angular) without any problems. It doesn't weigh a lot. We've had it for 2 years now. I would recommend it.

Was looking at black Friday deals last night derek. Circuit City has some great deals. Better than I saw anywhere else. Of course you are going to be chasing deer Friday

Circuit City has the best extended warranty by far than anyone else I know of. The fact they are in trouble financially is a little disheartening though. You have to wonder if they will be around to honor a warranty? I don't know that you could be sure of any of them at this point though?

Plasma will give you more bang for the buck but they are less reliable than LCD. They are heavy and generate a lot more heat. Heat means power burning if that matters to you. Some LCD's and Plasma sets use contrast bulbs that need to be replaced. DLP's have expensive bulbs to be replaced. Plasma's are an all in one unit. If anything goes wrong, it gets replaced, there are no repairs. LCD's aren't much better, but some of the components can be repaired. If the screen goes, you had just as well replace it.

I would recommend figuring in the cost of an extended warranty. It's worth it! Circuit City is 4 years no fault, no questions. They fix it once if it can be, replace it the second time. My last set got zapped by lightening and they fixed it pronto. A friend bought a plasma at Best Buy not long ago and it black screened after a month. It took him another month and a lot of headaches to get it replaced. I can't denounce then though, my current 42" LCD came from them and it's been a great set. The warranty is only 3 years. Hope I don't have problems!

Happy Shopping! And Thanksgiving!
    "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." Winston Churchill

I am considering buying one as well. I have looked at the ones at Sams Club, but was just as confused about them as ever. Best Buy seems very knowledgeable, but I agree that they tell you what you want to hear. Leaning towards the LCD.
    An empty wagon rattles the loudest.

Something else to consider is resolution. Here's a snip that I found that explains it pretty well.

"In 1080i each frame of video is sent or displayed in alternative fields. The fields in 1080i are composed of 540 rows of pixels or lines of pixels running from the top to the bottom of the screen, with the odd fields displayed first and the even fields displayed second. Together, both fields create a full frame, made up of all 1,080 pixel rows or lines, every 30th of a second.
    In 1080p, each frame of video is sent or displayed progressively. This means that both the odd and even fields (all 1,080 pixel rows or pixel lines) that make up the full frame are displayed together. This results in a smoother looking image, with less motion artifacts and jagged edges."

What I have noticed is that 480p is about as good as 720i and likewise 720p is as good as 1080i. There is a lot of difference between 720p and 1080p. 1080p of course the best offered at this point. It's my understanding that 1080i will be the best offered in transmissions when it switches soon. HD or Blu-Ray is in 1080p and will give you an incredible picture.

If you can afford it, pay the extra for 1080p. There are some nice ones out there that are affordable. If you plan to get a player, make sure it's a Blu-Ray. HD's are dead technology and they won't play a Blu-Ray disc. On the other hand a Blu-Ray will run a HD disc. Most upvert so they will make a standard DVD look even better. There is no difference in picture quality between Blu-Ray and HD dvd's. So if you can get them, buy the HD disc's. They are cheaper.

Just a bit more to make your head hurt today!
    "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." Winston Churchill

kill you TV

I'm with Bivy!
    Best choice is to pick up one of the thousands (or millions) of TV's that are being trashed for the new digital TV's and get a converter box. It far exceeds what I need to watch the two shows I catch once a week.
    Regards, Barry

Yeah but you can't hook it up to yer DVI port on yer puter and surf Beesource in HD "BIGTIME" on the wall!

Didn't I mention THAT exception?
    Regards, Barry

I have an lcd tv and the picture is ok as long as you are not looking up at it. If you have to look up at it the picture goes dark, so if you have kids they are not going to see any pictures. My next tv will be a plasma because the screen is brighter and have a better better viewing angle. They are energy pigs even when they are turned off. They likely have an energy saving mode like my LCD has. In the energy saving mode they take longer to turn on.
    Home of the ventilated and sting resistant Ultra Breeze bee suits and jackets
    http://www.honeymoonapiaries.com

I haven't shopped there yet, but a co-worker got his through Amazon.com recently. Once he had chosen the model, he was advised to search Amazon- the one he bought was: $400 less than Best Buy, no sales tax, free delivery. He's a cheapskate and eats up things like this deal.

One other thing to look at is their energy consumption. If you get your choices narrowed down compare power cinsumption among them. Some are 'dead' when turned off, drawing virtually zero amps. Some on the other hand, consume a considerable amount of power whether off or on. Energy Star labels don't mean squat- look at the power usage label imprinted on the rear and compare with other models. It's amazing how many amps some of these new bigger models consume. We've tested a few with various energy monitors and it's an eye opener.

Quote Originally Posted by Bizzybee View Post
    Was looking at black Friday deals last night derek. Circuit City has some great deals. Better than I saw anywhere else. Of course you are going to be chasing deer Friday

I should have gone t.v. shopping. The deer hunting sucked!!!

So looks like plasma or lcd is the way to go. I plan on going shopping for one soon. Thanks for all the helpful info. Helps alot guys. I will probably shop. Then come back here to ask a few questions before I buy.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek View Post
    I should have gone t.v. shopping. The deer hunting sucked!!!
    The bucks are too busy looking for love right now to worry about much else. Sorry you had a bad hunt.
    So many weeds.......so little time.

Consumer Reports did a in depth testing of these
    just a bit ago.

Best brands (from memory)

*Panasonic
    *Sharp
    *JVC
    *Samsung

Best Bang for the Buck

*Vizio (sp)
    *Olivia (sp)

Insignia is a nice set for even more bang. Built by Vizio for Best Buy as a store brand name.