Lightbulb Energy Conservation

Not looking for alternative power or fuel ideas here. What sort of things do you do at your honey house to help use energy more wisely? Some things we do now or are looking into:

> Wrap insulation blanket material around bottling and other storage tanks.
    > Use reptile heaters in the old 'fridge' instead of incandescent lamps for de-crystalizing (99% eff vs. 75%)
    > T-8 florescent lamps for general lighting.
    > Storm windows on the old panes that were single pane (most of our glazing is double pane, except for the old store front single panes from the former store front days)
    > Pilot switchs (ones that have an indicator lamp so you know if the light or heating unit it serves is turned on)
    > Occupancy sensing light switches- shut off when building is unoccupied after a period of time. No accidentally leaving the lights on if gone longer than planned.
    > Wrap all exposed and accessible hot water piping with insulation
    > 'Vacation' setting on water heater when we don't feel hot water will be needed for some time.
    > Light colors on walls, ceiling and floor so lighting lumen requirements are lowered.

Help me out here, please? I may be giving a talk to others in the future and could use more some ideas that apply to the bee hobby/business. Some of the same ideas can apply to virtually any business and others are more bee-specific. I can sort out the economic justification, because some ideas may be good, but maybe not possess a reasonable economic flair. Thanks

These may or may not be economical.

Sky lights.
    Use Spray Foam Insulation on the pipes
    Tankless hotwater heater
    Caulk every nook and cranny in and outside
    Chuck Norris has a grizzly bear carpet in his room. The bear isn't dead it is just afraid to move.

Are you heating the honey house itself?

Quote Originally Posted by walking bird View Post
    Are you heating the honey house itself?

Yes. Let's hear some conservation options, not necessarily just alternatives. The difference is: conservation uses energy more prudently, while converting to another heating fuel just pushes the Btu's to another source. A bandaid instead of a long term cure. But, I'm all eyes and ears to what others are doing. This industry has some unique needs.

I'm often surprised that using solar for water heating/ preheating doesn't appear early on a list of methods. Whether water is heated directly or the sun is used passively, it is hard to ignore the free flow of energy of the sun.

Some have used sun energy to reliquify honey or to melt wax.
    WayaCoyote

wayacoyote- actually on an economic scale, solar water heating is a pretty good deal in much of the country. Many areas have lots more sun than quality wind for example. Even solar PV systems are working out better today than ever with new efficiencies.

Alternatives are a good thing to do and I was a solar 'nut' starting back in high school & college in the 70's. I'm trying to talk a neighbor down the street with an old active solar water system out of his system. He doesn't use it due to some mechanical problems. I think the panels are OK, even though they're old. I missed out on another deal with old panels that ended up in the metal scrap recycle place. They forgot I was interested and ripped them to shreds, selling the copper before I knew it happened.