Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Propolis Traps and Trapping

Can anyone answer the following.....
    Will the bees propolize a trap used on a verticle side such as the back board in a top bar Hive? I am trying to figure out how I can collect propolis since the bees dont normally have access to the top side of the bars.
    Also I saw the\is video on Youtube in which this guy is scraping the crap off the bottom of his wax cake and calling it #2 Propolis. What gives? First his scraps off the loose "dirt" his calls it and then the solid dark layer is what he is calling #2 Propolis. Looks like Chicken food to me. Is he mistaken? Because he is selling that crap.

Would a plastic queen excluder work as a propolis trap? They look the same...

I doubt it. The gaps would likely be too big. Sometimes bees go crazy with propolis and you might have success, but you will likely have much better success with a dedicated properly designed trap.

The concept of beespace is because a space a bee cannot squeeze through they will propolize. A popolis trip has spaces to small for a bee. A queen excluder has spaces they can get through. They will propolize an exlcuder some, but not as much as a piece of screen wire.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Our Russian and Polish customers mix it with whatever high alcohol content (usuall 110 proof vodka) and use as an immune stimulator, sore throat releiver and for cold sores. They used to bring the boose to market and ask us to make it for them which we did and it works exceptionally well. I use it if I am around other who have colds or flu as a preventative and have good results and it kills a sore throat in like 2 minutes. Not just eases the pain kills the problems. There are places that will buy your raw propolis for about 5 or 6 time times the price of wholesale honey per pound. I can't remember the name of the place but someone else here will. They use it toothpaste and such. I'm sure others will have more about this valuable often overlooked product.

We do run propolis traps but man what a load of work to do in quantity.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12