Question Sanitizing bottom boards?

Just did a mite treatment, lots of dead mites on pallet bottom boards. With the concern about viruses should we be doing anything additional?

Like, sanitizing the bottoms (with the dead mites on) with either a bleach solution ( 10 or 20%) or a sanitzer like is used in resturaunts & bars to sanitize glasses?

This also leads to another question, if hive does die from a virus infection, how long after the bees die off will the viruses be active and able to infect others?

Thanks, Larry

the viruses you speak of are not airborne or contact transmitted like the flu, but are more akin to the rocky mountain spotted fever we get from a tick bite. good luck,mike
    "Wine is a constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy" Ben Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by LSPender View Post
    Just did a mite treatment, lots of dead mites on pallet bottom boards. With the concern about viruses should we be doing anything additional?

Larry, if your dropping lots of mites this late in the year I would only worry about mites. This is late in the season to have mites loads.

Through everything you got at them to push the mite load back.The viruses is the least of your problems, also once the mites are in check put a four pound wet patty on them.

good luck, Keith

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Jarrett View Post
    L This is late in the season to have mites loads.
    Keith
    I just said to my friend yesterday , the `dying bees from mite damage crawler stage' seems late here this year. I usually see it in September/October and this year it has been the last couple of weeks.