Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

How did you get rid of it the first time hobie?

Only one question. When you got rid of it before, did you turn off System Restore feature? It's probably stuck in there and after your AV software or what ever you used to clean it did it's job, it just reloaded itself from the archives.

Disable the "SR" and clean it up again. After it's gone you can turn the "SR" back on again. You will loose all of your restore points prior to the time you turn it off, but no other way to stop it from coming back.
    "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." Winston Churchill

You are speaking to an absolute computer moron, here.

I don't know how to install/use another browser. Never done it. I have this fear of messing things up irrecoverably.

I don't know how to turn "System Restore" on or off, so I did not do that. See above fear.

I thought I got rid of it by blocking the website via Tools-Internet Options-Privacy-Sites. Seemed to work for a while, but that may have been an illusion.
    “The keeping of bees is like the direction of sunbeams.” -Henry David Thoreau

Hi Hobie,

If you want to try Firefox as a browser, go here:

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/

Part of the installation will allow you to copy over your bookmarks, or whatever Microsoft calls them, from IE into Firefox. After that, you're pretty much good to go. You'll end up with two browsers and you can choose whichever you like the best. Choice is a wonderful thing!

The link below discusses turning system restore on and off. It's pretty easy so don't hesitate to try it.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310405

The Tools, Internet Options, stuff isn't very good at blocking really malicious things. It's a start but the basic underpinnings of Windows and IE are problematic. Not to say that your use of the Internet Options isn't good....it's just not always enough.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

Not using Internet Explorer as your browser is the
    single best thing you can do to protect your computer
    from malicious software.

FireFox is very nice, but as it gets more popular the
    creeps start to target it more. I use it still, but I have
    looked at other ones like Chrome and Opera.

Internet Explorer is directly tied to your operating system
    and there lies the vulnerability. FireFox is a stand alone
    browser that does not interact with the operating system
    like IE.

I don't know what to tell you guys. I haven't run into any in years. I suspect that it may be more of an issue with your ISP.

I'm running vanilla XP (with all service packs and monthly security patches). I only use IE. I run Norton, and Spybot weekly. The ISP is ATT/Yahoo. Mail is Yahoo.

I get very little SPAM and religiously report the ones that do make it through. They don't come back again.

One issue that I know of: There are currently some nasty things comming through "Facebook" site and possibly "myspace". I have therefore banned the use of those sites.

Fuzzy

I don't know that I subscribe to the idea that your PC is sure to die by using IE either fuzzy. I can't say that I have ran across any more bugs with IE than I have with Firefox. I have seen few period, that made it far enough to cause any problems. One should assume you are going to have problems from any web application and protect your machine and connection accordingly.
    "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." Winston Churchill

I wounder how much of this is scams:
    http://www.networkworld.com/community/node/36235

-Bob

If you use a mask you should not get a virus.
    Last edited by Bizzybee; 12-12-2008 at 12:39 PM. Reason: second time this has been recommended in this thread

The one that Hobie is seeing is just that Bob. That garbage has been going on for a long time. Any site you get hijacked or redirected to making those claims should be run from as fast as possible. Don't even dabble around on the site to see what it's about.

I've been working on these blasted things far longer than I care to admit and can take care of myself. But far to many people just use them for enjoyment and help improve their lives a little bit. They could care less what makes them tick or why, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. It just pee's me off to no end to see jerks like this take advantage of those folks!!! Grrrrrrr

It wouldn't both me in the least to see the scum locked away and put on bread and water for the next 25 years!!!!!!

I completely agree, Bizzybee. There were times at work where I could not access data from a client's website because I kept getting shuttled to a stupid NFL site. Try to explain that to a client who is paying you good money to do work for them. I can not see what benefit it had to anybody. I didn't become an NFL fan.
    “The keeping of bees is like the direction of sunbeams.” -Henry David Thoreau

For those using IE... Today Microsoft released an urgent security patch for immediate use. If you subscribe to automatic updates then you have already received it. If not you probably should go looking for it on the microsoft update site. This was apparently a major hole that is currently causing significant issues.

Fuzzy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12