Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Exclamation Viruses and Trojans

I have had an unusually high number of viruses and trojans getting caught by my virus scanner over the past two or three weeks. I haven't seen any over the past few months. I don't know the reason for the increase, maybe I'm just lucky?

They are somehow getting past all the protection I have running and making it to my hard drives?

None the less, I'm pretty well protected and they are still getting in. It's only the nightly scan that is catching them. If any of you folks are using the free versions of anti-virus software out there, be aware that most don't have scheduled scans available. It has to be set up from the Windows Task Scheduler.

I can't imagine this is only happening to me. I don't frequent junk sites.
    "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." Winston Churchill

Bizzybee dump PC and get Mac.

No Thanks! I build my own and last time I checked there isn't any Mac parts stores around here??? And I get to spend the money left over from not buying a Mac to buy bee stuff.....

I run Linux too, no problems over there either..............
    "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." Winston Churchill

well we were fixing to rebuild one of the websites I helped build way back an while doin it I kept getting error's to down load the fix......... I did and it wiped me out.

I am now back but my machine is still not right yet.

I use tren Mirco for virus protection.
    "Life without God is like an unsharpened pencil - it has no point."

http://www.spywareterminator.com

has a free spyware program with an integrated clam anti virus, is pretty good program. It has helped me clean up a couple badly infested systems.
    “When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.” – John Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Bizzybee View Post
    No Thanks! I build my own and last time I checked there isn't any Mac parts stores around here??? And I get to spend the money left over from not buying a Mac to buy bee stuff.....

I run Linux too, no problems over there either..............

You can always get a Mac clone...

http://store.psystar.com/

Interesting how they reverse engineered OS X piracy schemes. Looks like they are in for a battle:

http://www.macnn.com/articles/08/12/...mca.to.pystar/

Be nice to see Psystar win, though.

MM

Viruses and Trojans
    I thought if you had lots of sleep and plenty of vitamin C, you wouldn't get viruses.
    Last edited by Bizzybee; 12-02-2008 at 04:06 PM. Reason: Keep it above the gutter fellers
    Chuck Norris has a grizzly bear carpet in his room. The bear isn't dead it is just afraid to move.

Quick fix...
    Last edited by iddee; 12-02-2008 at 06:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek View Post
    I thought if you had lots of sleep and plenty of vitamin C, you wouldn't get viruses.
    Don't scratch it you'll spread it.

I'm glad you typed it and I only though of it, but it's still funny.
    Last edited by Bizzybee; 12-02-2008 at 04:07 PM.
    Scrapfe---Never believe anything in politics until it has been officially denied.--Otto von Bismarck.

Bizzybee, I have noticed the same thing in the past week or two. The warnings pop up when I click what should be a link to a reputable site, but also site that I have not used before. What anti-virus software do you use? I'm using Avast.
    “The keeping of bees is like the direction of sunbeams.” -Henry David Thoreau

None of the viruses have caused any problems. They have been caught during the nightly scan that I have scheduled in windows task scheduler.

I use Avast also, and Windows Defender. Avast now caches all of the inbound browser traffic and scans it before opening. Apparently is is allowing them to slip by someway, only to catch them later in the system scan.

None of them have gone active that I know of yet. Hope it stays that way. I haven't seen any others hit in a scan since my first post.

Do you have the switches to set up the task in scheduler? I can post them if you need them?

Argh! Just got one again! And, now that I think about it, it is always from the same place. I do something normal (this time going into hotmail) and an alleged Microsoft Internet Explorer window pops up to say this computer is not properly protected, click here to download a scanner. I cancel or close the window, and BAM! I get directed to "pro-scanner-online.com" and then the trojan horse alerts start flying.

Any ideas on how to block this?

Sounds more like your getting hijacked.

BRB

It seems to me that the entire pop-up window is a link designed to look like you can "X" it out by clicking it in the corner, there by clicking the link.

Does it show up in your task bar?
    If so, right click it there and select close.
    Tai
    ECBA Essex County Beekeeping Association #;~)

Yup, sound like.

Windows defender will probably take care of it. There's a 64 bit version if that's what you need. But you'll need to search for it. You can get the 32 bit version here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...r/default.mspx

Go here for a free system scan first:

http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/center/howsafe.htm

This will likely catch it and get rid of it.

If you aren't getting your regular updates from Windows, you should turn it on. About once a month they push out the malicious sftware removal tool. It scans your machine when installed and removes that kind of garbage. Does require a reboot. You can run the install manually from here:

http://www.microsoft.com/security/ma...e/default.mspx

I think that will take care of your problem. The trojan warning messages you are seeing when you hit the pro-scan site are bogus. Don't worry about it, or click on anything other than the big red X to get out.

Since switching to FireFox I can't recall getting any.

What browser do you use Biz??

Firefox, IE, Opera

Haven't seen any recently. Don't know where I was pickin those things up from?

Haven't looked into it anymore.............

Quote Originally Posted by taipantoo View Post
    Does it show up in your task bar?
    If so, right click it there and select close.
    Good to know this! Thanks.
    I blocked the website, and so far no recurrences.

Ah! The doxies are back in my machine, despite my attempt to block the website. The dang thing does not show up in the tool bar, but I can ctrl-alt-del to get to the windows task manager and delete it from there. Sometimes I lose the web page I'm on, too, sometimes not.

Stop using IE. Just stop using it. Clean the PC up and stop using it. Bad enough that they make it so you can't even un-install it so, since you're stuck with the bad quality of the browser, just don't use it.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast