Default help with lilacs

I was wondering if anyone could help with advice regarding planting lilac plant/bushes this late in the season. My sister showed up with a small package of 5 lilac plants. They are just one "stick" each with a few leaves on them. I know that I need a site with good drainage. The ground isn't frozen here yet. I'm worried that the plants roots will freeze from the cold, and the plants will die. Any help is greatly appreciated. I'm in zone 6. My plan is as follows.

I'm going to plant according to directions in soil with good drainage, water the heck out of em, and then surround the base with hay to try and insulate.

Cheers...
    Let's BEE friends

You could allow them to go dormant in you're basement or other non freezing place.
    Put them in a little damp sand or potting soil & wait till spring.
    Dan

I didnt know you could kill a "lilac"
    Ed, KA9CTT profanity is IGNORANCE made audible
    you can`t fix stupid not even with duct tape

The key is to make sure that there's no air around the roots. Frozen or not, air will cause the roots to dry up and the plant dies. I think your plan is fine. The hay is to keep the ground from going through too many freeze / thaw cycles which causes heaving which, of course, allows air around the roots, so mulching with hay, straw, etc., is a good idea.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

"Where wisdom is called for, force is of little use."
    Herodotus (circa 485-425 BC), Greek Historian

Do they have roots of 'any kind',..? If they do, then your plan is good; if not, then option,..KQ6AR is,.....well,...your other option. Lilac is pretty hardy. By the way, you don't have to plant them in a permanent place right now, this fall. You could plant them close together in a trench I would think, and 'if' they produce leaves [buds even] early in the spring, you could transplant them to the most artistic/beautiful place in the landscape.