Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bee Log

Two things, one is the pollen has probably degraded beyond useful. The other being that you risk introducing anything your friends bees may have had. The fact they "used" to keep bees throws up a big flag to me. If they were successful and had healthy robust bees, they would probably still have them.
    "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Bizzybee View Post
    Two things, one is the pollen has probably degraded beyond useful. The other being that you risk introducing anything your friends bees may have had. The fact they "used" to keep bees throws up a big flag to me. If they were successful and had healthy robust bees, they would probably still have them.
    I was worried about foul brood. If I get used hives should I be concerned about this. How do I treat stuff besides buring it?

Be safe and don't take frames from anyone. Start with new frames and foundation. They aren't that expensive. You can scorch all the surfaces of the boxes with a torch to clean them. Heavy solution of chlorine beach can be used as well. Give it enough contact time to work and do it well enough ahead of time so it will have time to dissipate out of the woodenware.
    "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." Winston Churchill

I got some new gear today......55 bucks for a complete 10 frame hive

I'm trying to figure out if the bees I have are Russian or Italian...any tips? I know the Russian are a bit darker. Or could they bee something totally different then these two?

So you met Anthony and Harlan???

If so, you should have picked their brain a while. They can help you in any way needed, all the way through the removal and set up of the hive.

Darren Orr is who I met...Idid pick his brain for awhile.

todays bee log....too bad they were dead, sucks.

Not long dead, from the looks of that comb. Sad, but you can't get them all, I guess.
    “The keeping of bees is like the direction of sunbeams.” -Henry David Thoreau

I think a sure sign that you're incurably hooked on beekeeping is when you start accumulating things that you're sure you'll use someday. Like pieces of board from a construction dumpster that you "plan" to make into covers or hive bodies.

Next thing you know, you'll have buckets filled with stuff you're saving. Like that comb from the dead hive for instance...

What should I do with the comb...make candles? give to an educational place?

Sure. Either one of those things. I personally can't stand to see good wax go to waste. A nice piece of comb like those can make a real nice show and tell item. And kids like em, too.

so far so good. Warm yesterday and rain. In between rain some bees were venturing out. I'm gonna wire up some electric fence today since we have Black Bears here....

No Bivy,

Just started reading this post. Keep us up on how things go. From my limited view it looks to me that you're doing everything right. Over the winter read all you can so you can be ready for Spring. Especially in your profession you'll find hives and swarms come out of the woodwork. The more you know the more confident you'll be in dealing with your new hobbie, addiction... whatever.
    Ninja, is not in the dictionary. Well played Ninja's, well played...

Another use for that comb is to use it to bate nucs, the stuff you have looks very new. the old black brown stuff seems to work best.

How early can I place frames in the super on top and start letting the bees come up outta the log?

I just got into this thread this morning. WOW! No Bivy we need more tree guys like you!
    It looks like you are doing things right and getting good advice from local people.
    Its just to bad the sickness has prgressed well into the third stage and you will never be quite right again!
    Your gonna have fun!

so I think my bees are Italian and I was reading they start rearing brood in Jan. Should I ad frames to the top feeder box?

keep the feeder box and add another next to the hole. put foundation and frames in the new box. good luck,mike
    "Wine is a constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy" Ben Franklin

Not sure what you mean....slide the feeder off the hole and fill extra space with frames?

oh yeah....should I change from sugar syrup to fondant?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast