Thread: Scooter Repairs

Hybrid View

Default Scooter Repairs

I love my honda elite (80cc) for a daily commuter. No, it's not a fully blown cycle but it gets 85 miles to the gallon and the top speed is WAY beyond what the morons at the cycle shop insist it can go. I've actually found I like fixing the twist and go type scooters (I've had another elite, and two areos over to work on since)

Today I had a chance to pick up a chinese scooter for a pitance. My wife had pleasant memories of owning a 50cc scooter as a teen. It's a cheap chinese knockoff that has had a close encounter of the concrete kind on the left side at least once in its lifetime. Plastics on the rear are cracket and probably disposable - I've seen happy meal toys with more weight to them.

It sure does zip with my daughter on board (about half my weight). I spent some quality time on the brakes and fixing some sundry crud and I'm trying to locate a repair manual for it. I had one response that said "It won't help, it's in Chinese." I have chinese co-workers whome I can coerce into translating.

Anyone else like to work on these twist and go jobs? Tomorrow I'm going to try and figure out why the electric start doesn't.
    http://www.voiceofthehive.com - Tales of Beekeeping and Honeybees

I love working on motorcycles...

That plastic can likely be easily repaired with today's
    adhesives you can get at the auto body supply. Lord
    brand is a good one I've used as well as the 3M line.

Got 2 Puch's in the shed that don't run and need some
    major TLC but they are no match for your Elite.

The Chinese moped I've seen are fairly well made as
    far as the mechanics go. Honda clones more or less.

We bought a new Schwin Sport scooter (49.5 cc engine) this Summer for my wife to go back and forth to work, so no need for any repairs, yet (although I'm pretty mechanically-challenged, so don't know if there ever will be any on my behalf!). Pretty fun to ride and the 100 mpg definitely helps. Downside is it is in the shed now until probably March or April, she isn't as crazy as me (I rode my bicycle, pedal-bike that is, at a "balmy" 19 degrees).
    Gregg Stewart

Up here in the pacific northwest, we have two seasons - "Cold Wet And Miserable" and "Summer". Summer was on a Thursday this year. I still ride to the store and in to work when I don't have the kids. Just need to dress fo rthe occasion.

Regarding the plastics, I'm going to look into Sundance's ideas on the repair stuff. I'm cutting a scrap of steel to reinforce the edges (unlike the hondas these things don't have a side rail running the length of the body under the floor).
    http://www.voiceofthehive.com - Tales of Beekeeping and Honeybees

Quote Originally Posted by xC0000005 View Post
    Regarding the plastics, I'm going to look into Sundance's ideas on the repair stuff.
    The key is to identify the type of plastic before you
    do the repair. Adhesives and procedures are different
    for each type. Some like PE (polyetylene) are best
    welded.

Here's a couple good links to ID your's. The tests are
    easy. Burn test. Sink or float in water test. And take
    a sander to it to see if it smears or makes dust.

http://www.northwestpolymers.ca/plasticid.html

http://www.texloc.com/closet/cl_plasticsid.html