Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Easy bee-vac

I cut the holes the same size as the hose, so the hose JUST won't go in. Then I ream the hole partway through, on a taper. The hose goes in part way and sticks.

Iddee,
    I was looking at the beevac pics and like the design. It looks very easy to make and the transfer of bees to their new home looks like it would be a breeze.
    It looks like a couple of the pictures show ventilation holes in the collection box, while other pictures show no such holes. With the use of the router control to adjust the shop-vac speed, do you feel that some screened holed in the side of the collection box are a good thing, or not really necessary?
    Thanks
    Barry
    Indianapolis

Barry, read post 19. The ones without were one of the first ones built, and later modified. They help with ventilation on the way home, and are essential to controlling the vac power.

Where did you get the plexiglass?

I'm not Idee, but have made enough things to tell you that plexiglass is available at virtually any hardware and/or lumber retail store- True Value, Ace, TheHome Depot, Lowes, along with any ma & pa hardware store in Anytown USA. Many, maybe all of these stores will cut it for you, but it's not brain surgery, so feel free to try your hand and make it fit your own needs.

When I had bees I have used a 10 cm (3.9 inch) high frame area like a super. From one upper short side to the other bottom short side was a mesh. One hole in each end for vacuum hoses. The vacuum cleaner goes under the mesh and the hose for the bees over the mesh. You place normal frames in the super. When you use the vacuum the airflow is equal in both hoses but when the bees hit the mesh the pressure is nearly zero so that the bees can enter the frames. I know this was not the best explanation but I hope you can figure it out.

Have a nice beekeeping season.
    Retired beekeeper, Free beekeeping software
    http://apimo.dk apimo@apimo.dk links to beekeeping vidios

I've been using an Idee-inspired vac for a few seasons of removals now and can say it's the bomb . I still haven't gotten around to a router controller, still using a slider/panel for suction control. I do use the tubing that came with the vac, though I've gotten a few more lengths so the shopvac can sit on the ground while I'm up on the ladder. I also use the blower nozzle attachment to increase suction at the intake, then the bees slow down in the tubing for a more gentle ride. Occasionally I lift the tubing straight (so the vac is it the bottom) and shake a bit to move clumps along in the tubing. I definitely err on the low-suction side: slower, but happier bees that way.
    Bees, brews and fun
    in Lyons, CO

I've seen Iddee's vac first hand and its the real stuff. Its lighter than the one I have which has an outer box and removable inner box's. It works but is heavy. I plan on building off of Iddee's idea soon. I've used 3 different types of hose, smooth, larger and the typical vacuum hose. They all worked. Didnt notice any better. They all kill them if the suction is too high. Use a bee brush to coax them to flight and then suck them from the air.

I have built a couple from a picture I saw on the internet. I will try to describe it, since it really is a variation of Iddee's. It consists of two pieces that look like very thin supers (about 3 1/2 inches tall). The bottom one has a piece of 1/4 inch luan inserted on a slope, front to back, for a floor. The top one is screened, and has a dado for a piece of luan to slide in above the screen. You simply sandwich a hive body or two between the bottom and top, clamp them together with a couple of ratchet straps, attach your shop vacuum to the top and hose to the bottom and vacuum up bees. When done, remove the bottom hose and close hole with tape. Remove top hose and remove top luan. This allows for ventilation during transport. Move to desired location and leave over night. Remove straps and set hive body(ies) on your choice of bottom boards. Add cover and you are done. If I can get some pics, I will post if anyone is interested.

I'd like to see some pics!

do a search for bushkill bee vac.
    Don't think you are on the right road simply because it is a well worn pathway.

Thanks Ted! I like to give credit where credit is due, but I couldn't remember where I saw it, and all I printed to build off of was the pic. I have not had a chance to use it yet, but I think it offers some definite advantages. Would be happy to build one for someone for a slight fee and a donation to this website.

Default Re: Easy bee-vac

Quote Originally Posted by standman View Post
    I have built a couple from a picture I saw on the internet. I will try to describe it, since it really is a variation of Iddee's. It consists of two pieces that look like very thin supers (about 3 1/2 inches tall). The bottom one has a piece of 1/4 inch luan inserted on a slope, front to back, for a floor. The top one is screened, and has a dado for a piece of luan to slide in above the screen. You simply sandwich a hive body or two between the bottom and top, clamp them together with a couple of ratchet straps, attach your shop vacuum to the top and hose to the bottom and vacuum up bees. When done, remove the bottom hose and close hole with tape. Remove top hose and remove top luan. This allows for ventilation during transport. Move to desired location and leave over night. Remove straps and set hive body(ies) on your choice of bottom boards. Add cover and you are done. If I can get some pics, I will post if anyone is interested.
    I'd like to see those pics and/or plans to build one. Thanks. -james

Quote Originally Posted by dixiebooks View Post
    I'd like to see those pics and/or plans to build one. Thanks. -james

http://robo.bushkillfarms.com/beekeeping/bee-vac/

Idee, what do you use the slide in bottom for and have you made any changes after using it several years?

Thanks Bill

Thanks, ncsteeler. I've those pics on robos site but they are too small to make anything out and there are no plans on how to build it that I can find. -james

Iddee's i made a bushkillbee vac and have had a learing curve with it. i saw your design and like it. i will be building me one soon. does your deep brude box have a screen boffom on it? i would seem like you would have to have a solid bottom for the vac to work. if it is the brude box you are going to put in your bee yard , do you slide in a solid bottom? i guess if you were using solid bottoms, all you would have to do is stop up the entrance to keep the suckion there. can any one help?

Could an 18 volt battery be used as the power source?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12