Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Easy bee-vac

Default Easy bee-vac

I have a shop vac, and my desire is to make an easily constructed bee-vac out of itI search-engined bee-vacs, only to find that they are like cars, with either fairly easy or disgustingly intricate. What I'd like to see is THE easiest to make. They are a great tool for the beekeeper, and I have have one of my very own.

The saying..."You get what you pay for"... comes to mind. The easiest is to use the shop vac as it comes and just dump the dead bees in your compost pile.

If you want to keep them alive, it comes a little harder.

If you want them alive AND healthy, it comes even harder.

Here's photos of mine if you want to keep the bees alive, healthy, and easiest to manipulate once vacuumed.

http://s81.photobucket.com/albums/j226/Iddee/BEE%20VAC/

Maybe I should have pefaced my opening with the fact that ,of course, I want them alive and healthy. Otherwise, I'd have a bunch of crappie bait.I guess that stressing "cheap 'would have been best left out.
    Your setup looks great--standard sized boxes? Is there anything inside the vac that could bump or bruise the bees?Is there a thread you can post o your good-lookin' machine?...Oh----will yours run off a ccar battery?
    Thanks, iddee.
    Rick

I like it.
    Do you put frames in the bottom box, when using it?
    Dan

The bees don't go into the vac. They are screened off in the super. The super is a standard size box. It will run off a 1200 watt inverter from a car battery. No thread made, but I can explain anything you can't see in the photos.

looks good, what is that yellow box on the plug?
    Daniel,

It's a router control, used to control the speed, "the power", of the vacuum.

Thumbs Up

That is pretty fine, iddee. I am compressed~or impressed~repressed , dunno which...LOL
    Yup, that's a dandy. I tip my hat to your creativity.

Not my invention, Willi, a friend named Tom Sawyer. No kin to Huck Finn.
    He made it and I added a few things like the sliding bottom.

Well, whoever gets credit deserves a big huzzah!!! ....Top of the line stuff right there. I'd offer a bow from the waist, but my wife is not big enugh to get me back upright again..LOL

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by iddee View Post
    He made it and I added a few things like the sliding bottom.
    Like I did when I added the vac to the box for an all in one unit. Thanks Iddee for the ideas! It's the best vac yet!
    Bullseye Bill in The Scenic Flint Hills , KS
    www.myspace.com/dukewilliam

Default Bee Vac

Iddee, what size screen are you using? Am I correct in thinking that the bees fall before they hit the screen ? Thanks Jim

1/8 inch screen.... The bees will mostly stop before the screen. Those that don't have slowed sufficiently to not be hurt, plus the screen is slanted to keep them from hitting it head-on.

So, when you're operating it, you modulate the vacuum with the speed control, and I assume that you use some type of reasonably tight top cover, right? What about just running the vac full speed and having a bleed valve next to the outlet to the vac so that suction can be modulated mechanically?

The cover is sealed plexiglass. The router control can be adjusted in smaller increments up and down, then mechanical hole covers. The router control will not give a full range of power, so mechanical hole covers are still needed. Also, when finished, all the hole covers are opened to give ventilation. There are 4 or more on each of my catch boxes.

I have a few questions Iddee.

Where do you get a router control?

What size hose is coming off the vac. And what size are you using to vac with. Anything special I need to know on the hoses?

I bought my shop vac tonight, and will be building my box in the next couple of weeks. So I know I will have a few more questions.

Thanks!
    Chuck Norris has a grizzly bear carpet in his room. The bear isn't dead it is just afraid to move.

so mechanical hole covers are still needed. Also, when finished, all the hole covers are opened to give ventilation. There are 4 or more on each of my catch boxes.
    Can you expand alittle on this. I see the side holes. But don't quite under the use.
    Chuck Norris has a grizzly bear carpet in his room. The bear isn't dead it is just afraid to move.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek View Post
    I have a few questions Iddee.

Where do you get a router control?
    I am not Iddee, but you can get them at harbor freight for fairly cheap.

Keith
    Bee Sting Honey - So Good, It Hurts!

I get mine at harbor freight, also.

The mechanical controls are 1 to 1 1/2 inch screen covered holes in the side of the catch box. I cover them with duct tape before starting. As the bees are vacuumed, I adjust the control down until the vac motor begins to labor. Then I turn it back up and remove one piece of tape and start down again. I continue this until the bees are entering the catch box with the force I want.

I use the hoses that came with the vac. I do have a hard plastic nozzle for getting into smaller areas.

Default hoses

This may seem a rudimentary question - but how do you attach the hoses to the box? Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast