Hybrid View

Default Deep frying a 22-pound bird... tips?

The wife brought home a 22-pound turkey for me to fry at our party! I've done lots of smaller (15 range) birds but I think the only other time I did a bigger bird, the skin was somewhat overdone (naturally). Anyone done this? Can I lower the temp of the oil (350 is my usual target for 3.5 mins/lb then until the meat temp says we're clear) and cook longer?

And just to illustrate what a ghetto fryer I am, I've always fried with a coathanger make into a turkey hanger suspended from some old chain I had laying around... this'll be my first year with a frying basket. Steppin' up!
    Bees, brews and fun
    in Lyons, CO

Do you brine your bird? I used to not. But now thats the only way I do it. Cooking wise this is what I do. 18 pounds is the biggest one I have done. Here is what I do.

Bring the temperature of the oil to 250 degrees F. Once the temperature has reached 250, lower the gobbler into the oil and bring the temperature to 350 degrees. Once it has reached 350, lower the heat in order to maintain 350 degrees. 3-3.5 minutes per pound is what I basiclly go with. Once the breast reaches 151 degrees, take that bad boy out of the oil and allow to rest for a minimum of 30 minutes prior to carving. The gobbler will reach an internal temperature of 161 degrees F due to carry over cooking.
    Chuck Norris has a grizzly bear carpet in his room. The bear isn't dead it is just afraid to move.

My tip:

Don't burn down your deck and house in the process.

MM

So tell us about deep fried turkey.
    Home of the ventilated and sting resistant Ultra Breeze bee suits and jackets
    http://www.honeymoonapiaries.com

I can't say that it has a flavor all that different from roasting. But if done right it retains the moister very well. Which I guess in the end makes for a better bird.

I'm just picturing Ben out back with a fire under a trash can and his coat hanger, hanging over the side..........
    "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by magnet-man View Post
    So tell us about deep fried turkey.
    Are you wishing you hadn't had your lap band surgery?
    Sounds pretty good doesn't it? We were going to have a pork shoulder roast for Thanksgiving but this thread has me looking at some of my pretty turkeys in the yard in a new way. We ussually pit them and it isn't really worth the effort but deep fried sounds goooood.

Quote Originally Posted by cow pollinater View Post
    Are you wishing you hadn't had your lap band surgery?
    Sounds pretty good doesn't it?
    Sounds good but not as good as what we are having. Thanksgiving dinner this year will be artichoke soup, crawfish etoufee, french bread and wine. Dessert will be bread pudding, port wine and finally coffee. Oh forgot to say that breakfast will be eggs benedict. I can't eat much but I will enjoy what I eat Thanksgiving day.

It is good to be from New Orleans!
    Home of the ventilated and sting resistant Ultra Breeze bee suits and jackets
    http://www.honeymoonapiaries.com

crawfish etoufee

Man I wanted to go get some this week!! Guy from New Orleans has a restaurant near the office that has the best crawfish etoufee on earth!!!! Bet I make it next week!!

Thanks for reminding me!!
    "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." Winston Churchill

Sounds good but not as good as what we are having. Thanksgiving dinner this year will be artichoke soup, crawfish etoufee, french bread and wine. Dessert will be bread pudding, port wine and finally coffee. Oh forgot to say that breakfast will be eggs benedict. I can't eat much but I will enjoy what I eat Thanksgiving day.

It is good to be from New Orleans!
    I would do anything to trade the same ole to that.
    Chuck Norris has a grizzly bear carpet in his room. The bear isn't dead it is just afraid to move.

22 pounds is a BIG bird. I have one of those large turkey fryers, and I haven't attempted a bird larger than 18. I'd recommend injecting a solution of your choice into the breast in 4-6 locations, also the drumsticks and the thighs. Rub the areas after each injection so the solution doesn't just stay in pockets and flows evenly into the meat.

One year we had about a dozen pheasants and quails which we prepared using different flavored injection solutions and deep fried. These "appetizer" birds were great to snack on prior to the turkey which we later fried - neat to see the flavor differences, from buttery to Cajun-spicy.

This year, I have a 22 pound tom which I am roasting in the oven. This a free-range raised bird, which we buy fresh locally from an Amish farmer friend. This year Sherman is raising about 1200 birds. I've eaten a lot of turkeys in my lifetime, but these are by far the best flavored, moist turkeys we've ever eaten. No more Butterball or store-bought birds for us - we're hooked on locally raised.

MM

Deep frying does leave out some of the flavors that the longer roasting develops, and you can't do cavity stuffing either. But it does make for a very moist bird, and with injection the flavor can be whatever you're hankering for. The skin is crispy and flavorful depending on the oil and the rub. For me the great bit is a lot more moisture and tenderness (and more room for error) than with roasting, plus it's FAST. Lately we've just been doing the rubs and going au naturale rather than injecting.

We're starting with some laying hens for spring 2010; I'm hoping a year or two into it I'll get SWMBO to consider some meat birds too. Unfortunately she just quit her highly lucrative job ($72K) to work here in town for $8 an hour, so the "maybe we need a place with some land" discussion is effectively over. As is the means to being able to fix the truck that lets me do removals . Though she will be home an additional 27 hours EVERY week, so that'll be a great thing.
    Bees, brews and fun
    in Lyons, CO

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Brewcat View Post
    . As is the means to being able to fix the truck that lets me do removals . Though she will be home an additional 27 hours EVERY week, so that'll be a great thing.

Ben;

There is a whole lot of things you can now start doing with that extra 27 hours yano:}:}

Bee's arn't everything:}:}

JB:}
    "Life without God is like an unsharpened pencil - it has no point."