Thread: extracting late

Default extracting late

I was running late on my beekeeping chores and I have over 50 suppers of honey that I need to extract. Normally I extract right after I harvest, no need for much heat in my honey house. The temps are in the 20-30 and I don't keep the heat on on the honey house so the the honey on the supper is really cold.
    I do have a propane wall heater and I can rent a kerosene heater from Home Depot.
    How long should I keep the heat on before I can start extracting.
    Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks Gilman

"Any advice will be appreciated".....dont use a kerosine heater. if not in perfect trim it will leave a taste in your honey. propane or electric would be a better choice. try the camping supplies at wal-mart for propane ones. good luck,mike
    "Wine is a constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy" Ben Franklin

if the temps are in the 20-30 range thru the winter, at least under 40, so that the combs pretty much stay frozen all year, then you might want to leave them until a little warmer weather in the spring as they will be frozen and won't sugar crystalize.
    “When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.” – John Muir

I would recommend a dry heat source and a really good air circulation fan. The supers at the tops of the stacks can get too warm and melt before the bottom ones are warm if the hot air is not circulated. A nice toasty honey room can be pleasant when it is to cold to do much else.
    John B Jacob www.oldsolbees.com

Quote Originally Posted by RayMarler View Post
    if the temps are in the 20-30 range thru the winter, at least under 40, so that the combs pretty much stay frozen all year, then you might want to leave them until a little warmer weather in the spring as they will be frozen and won't sugar crystalize.
    I agree with Ray, I would leave them until spring, unless you want to pay for the heat to get them to the point you can extract them. I put those supers in plastic bags to keep them clean, etc.

Default thanks

Thank you all
    I am using 2 propane heaters and a fan. It is working very well, much easier than I thought.
    I will be done in 2 days.
    I will not be working tomorrow, we have SNEBA meeting, it will be very interesting.
    I cant wait to hear Kirk Webster speak.

Thanks again Gilman