Default Queen bee flight on Nov. 16th?

Do queens take cleansing flights?

I'm a first year beekeeper and I'm not great at spotting the queen on combs yet. But this happened on the landing pad on the front of the hive.

It was around 1:00pm Sunday and the temperature was around 42*F. A few bees were flying around at one of my 2 hives. Out came a bee that, if I were a betting man, I would have sworn was the queen but she stood there briefly and flew off. She was significantly longer than the other worker bees near her and she had a tapered abdomen with the wings not nearly as long. She definitely wasn't a drone with the squarish abdomen.

Do queens take cleansing flights this time of year? Do they quit laying eggs long enough to slim down?

Thanks,
    Dan

>Do queens take cleansing flights?-(Dan)

Hello Dan,
    The house bees collect and take out the queens stuff, queens need not do cleansing flights.

>It was around 1:00pm Sunday and the temperature was around 42*F. … I would have sworn was the queen but she stood there briefly and flew off. -(Dan)

Dan, I’m thinking perhaps, that it was not a queen that you saw. The only time a queen will leave a colony is for a mating flight, and 42 F is too cold for queen mating flights, or drone flight to occur.

Best Wishes,
    Joe
    http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/H...eybeeArticles/

Default Drone

It sounds like you saw a drone. The drone is significantly longer and has a flat end instead of pointy. I have seen many during October that are trying to get back into the hive, but the females do not allow them. I have never seen the queen ever leave the hive during this time. However, I have captured swarms even up to November here in Sacramento. That is rare though. Last year I caught one swarm in november at Old Sacramento and KCRA was there to film it.

It was around 1:00pm Sunday and the temperature was around 42*F. A few bees were flying around at one of my 2 hives.
    Personally I have never seen bees fly at that temperature.

From your description, it sounds like the, or a, queen to me. Can only conjecture why she was out but I've seen many strange things with bees over the years. Could be the hive had 2 queens and decided to evict one? could be the hive is absconding? Might never know why she's out, but it's usually not a good sign this time of year, I wouldn't think.
    “When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.” – John Muir

Could be she done had enough of that Iowa weather and was headed south for the winter!
    "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." Winston Churchill

perhaps bizzybee is on to something?

Quote Originally Posted by tecumseh View Post
    perhaps bizzybee is on to something?
    U kant pay no tension to Biz
    Ed, KA9CTT profanity is IGNORANCE made audible
    you can`t fix stupid not even with duct tape

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Wax View Post
    Personally I have never seen bees fly at that temperature.
    Mine are flying at 40 degrees. Last year they were flying while the snow was starting to fall. I put a copy of "Beekeeping for Dummies" under the inner cover but they just don't seem to get it.
    http://www.voiceofthehive.com - Tales of Beekeeping and Honeybees

Mine are flying at 40 degrees.
    I should have amended that statement with the fact that I'm a first year beek.

Their flights sure do trail off dramatically in cold weather but they do indeed fly in small numbers as I have witnessed since I posted that.

I put a copy of "Beekeeping for Dummies" under the inner cover but they just don't seem to get it.

Sure, some of the workers may fly in the colder weather, but not the queens unless something is amiss.
    “When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.” – John Muir

the time of day is about right for a mating flight. the other thing I would suspect (ray marler beat me to this one) is there were multiple queens in the hive.

if number one?? you can almost bet the queen is not properly mated and she should fail fairly quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by xC0000005 View Post
    Mine are flying at 40 degrees. Last year they were flying while the snow was starting to fall. I put a copy of "Beekeeping for Dummies" under the inner cover but they just don't seem to get it.
    Maybee you should have put a teeny tinney reading lamp under their I.C. also, or they just read the title and got P.O.ed at you.
    Scrapfe---Never believe anything in politics until it has been officially denied.--Otto von Bismarck.

Quote Originally Posted by xC0000005 View Post
    ...I put a copy of "Beekeeping for Dummies" under the inner cover but they just don't seem to get it.

You didn't put wax paper under it rather than newspaper, did you?
    Maybe you should move it above the inner cover?

I'm sorry, I was just joking around guys.
    "burr comb happens..."

Queen Excluder!

Bait them up there with that new book Bee Sex Essentials.
    "burr comb happens..."